64-bit installer hangs on Windows 7

David Maier February 2, 2013

The 64-bit installer (I tried 5.2.4, 5.2.4.1, 5.2.5 and 5.2) consistently hangs on Windows 7 Professional. It gets as far as the Express or Custom install form; if you choose Express, and click Next, it hangs immediately. It appears to be running another version of the installer with command line arguments; this version can't be killed, or even debugged (it complains about the loader lock).

So, is the 64-bit version actually installable?

3 answers

0 votes
David Maier February 10, 2013

The restartResponseFile above contained a reference to C:\Program Files\JIRA . I manually created that directory, rebooted, ran the installer again as administrator, and it worked. (Actually, the installer hung again at "Launching JIRA", but I was able to complete the rest of the install from my browser.)

Note that C:\Program Files\JIRA is not the install directory for JIRA (it's empty).

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013

One last attempt.

• Is there a JAVA_HOME variable in User/System environment variables? If yes remove it
  • Is there java.exe in PATH variable (User/System). Is yes remove that too.
  • Restart the system

Attempt the installation again as Administrator.

David Maier February 6, 2013
  • JAVA_HOME is not defined as an environment variable
  • java.exe is not in the path
  • As noted above, the system has been restarted several times

As noted above, the installation has already been attempted as Administrator

There's also this (bottom of i4j_nlog_43):

vmoption 6: -Dexe4j.consoleCodepage=cp0
vmoption 7: -Dinstall4j.executionMode=gui
vmoption 8: -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
vmoption 9: -Djava.class.path=C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\i4jruntime.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\platform.zip;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\commons-codec.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\commons-httpclient.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\commons-io.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\dom4j.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\inception.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\modzdetector.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\slf4j-api.jar;C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j2FA5.tmp_dir\user\slf4j-jdk14.jar;
Creating JVM
JVM created
main class: com/install4j/runtime/launcher/WinLauncher
GetTempPath returned 34 (last error 0)
make dir returned -1
GetTempPath returned 34 (last error 183)
make dir returned -1
param count: 13
param 0: false
param 1: com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer
param 2: C:\Users\<me>\Downloads\error.log
param 3:
param 4: false
param 5: C:\Users\<me>\Downloads\atlassian-jira-5.2.5-x64.exe
param 6: __i4j_lang_restart
param 7: -Duser.language=en
param 8: -Dinstall4j.language=en
param 9: -Dexe4j.unextractedPositionRestart=23888166
param 10: -Dinstall4j.commIdentifier=\\.\pipe\i4jcomm0
param 11: -Dexe4j.semaphoreName=c:_users_<me>_downloads_atlassian-jira-5.2.5-x64.exe
param 12: -Dinstall4j.restartResponseFile=C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\I4D008~1.VAR
calling main

The last 4 items in the install log follow.

[INFO] com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.control.RunScriptAction [ID 70143]: Execute action
Property rollbackSupported: false
Property script: I4jScript_Internal_448
Property rollbackScript: null
Execute action successful
[INFO] com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.control.SetVariableAction [ID 68901]: Execute action
Property variableName: sys.installationDir
Property script: I4jScript_Internal_450
Property onlyIfUndefined: false
Property failIfNull: false
Property responseFileVariable: false
Variable changed: sys.installationDir=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA[class java.lang.String]
[INFO] com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.control.SetVariableAction [ID 68902]: Execute action
Property variableName: app.defaultJiraHome
Property script: I4jScript_Internal_452
Property onlyIfUndefined: false
Property failIfNull: false
Property responseFileVariable: false
Variable changed: app.defaultJiraHome=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA[class java.lang.String]
[INFO] com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.control.RunScriptAction [ID 69783]: Execute action
Property script: I4jScript_Internal_456
Property rollbackScript: null
Variable changed: app.jiraHome=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA[class java.lang.String]
Variable changed: httpPort=8080[class java.lang.Long]
Variable changed: rmiPort=8005[class java.lang.Long]
Variable changed: app.install.service=true[class java.lang.Boolean]
<eof>

0 votes
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2013

I haven't had issue with it before. Have you tried to run the istaller as administrator? Can you install other software sucessfully? If you can't use the installer and really need run the software you can always install using the zip method.

David Maier February 2, 2013

I have tried the following:

1. Installing as administrator

2. Installing with AV disabled

3. Installing with -q (not sure if that's a silent install, but what the heck...)

along with rebooting to get rid of the hung installer processes, just in case they interact

I have installed other software on this machine, but possibly none using I4J.

Suggest an answer