502 Bad Gateway nginx

Arch Fiend October 9, 2017

Hi All,

We have installed JIRA and Confluence and access them as sub domains. The server was down for some time (< 48 hours). When we rebooted the server JIRA returns 502 and Confluence is working without and issue.

1. Previously JIRA's Thread Limit Health Check complained, applied resolutions mentioned here.
  2. Tried restarting nginx, JIRA and Confluence.
  3. Googled the issue and tried tweaking the JIRA conf file and server.xml file.

Nothing worked and I reverted all file changes to the previous working state. I will link the conf files below for JIRA and Confluence and the server.xml files.  Any suggestions? :)

JIRA ConfConfluence ConfJIRA server.xmlConfluence server.xml

Many Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

Can you get to Jira locally, without going through the proxy?  If you can, then it's a proxy error, if you can't, then start with a look at the Jira application logs to see where it is going wrong.

Arch Fiend October 9, 2017

Hey Nic,

Thanks for replying. I'll see what I can do, looks like there is something wrong with the server as well. I'll update this thread asap.

0 votes
Arch Fiend October 10, 2017

Our System Administrator solved the issue for us, all he said was "wrong protocol between reverse proxy and backend. and a lot of other mess.". Hope this helps to anyone reading this thread :)

Arch Fiend October 11, 2017

Got another update from our admin :)

- "There were 3 jira accounts (I have configured only one). And every account was pointing to its own instance. Nginx and me myself were totally lost where to proxy jira requests. So I had to remove all these accounts, instances, change ownership of jira files, and kept only one startup init file."

Any ideas as to what caused this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

Sounds like you've installed it three times.

Suggest an answer