500 error when accesing from browser but server starts succesfully with could-not-find-a-field-type-definition-with-name-h2-in-atlassian error in log

Alok Singh January 6, 2016

I am getting java.lang.NullPointerException com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.wrap when starting JIRA with 500 error and in the logs it says com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find a field-type definition with name "h2"

Configuration I have

java -version

java version "1.8.0_65" 

atlas-version

ATLAS Version: 6.2.2 ATLAS Home: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.2

ATLAS Scripts: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.2/bin

ATLAS Maven Home: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.2/apache-maven-3.2.1 AMPS Version: 6.2.1

This problem is not letting me start JIRA in dev env.

Command I am using to start JIRA

atlas-run-standalone --container tomcat7x --product jira --version 7.1.0-OD-03-049 --data-version 7.1.0-OD-03-049 --bundled-plugins com.atlassian.bundles:json-schema-validator-atlassian-bundle:1.0.4,com.atlassian.upm:atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin:2.20.1-D20150924T170115,com.atlassian.jwt:jwt-plugin:1.5.4,com.atlassian.plugins:atlassian-connect-plugin:1.1.66 --jvmargs -Datlassian.upm.on.demand=true

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gert-Jan van de Streek January 8, 2016

I have the same error after upgrading to sdk 6.2.2 and see this:

[INFO] determining latest stable product version...
[INFO] using latest stable product version: 6.4.3

Simply using an older version of the sdk fixes the problem. 

Version 6.2.2 does not honor the --version argument and seems to decide on its own to fetch version 6.4.3

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2016

I've just got the same result. I think you've cracked it! I can't see a simple workaround on that at the moment, looks like a bug to me.

Alok Singh January 10, 2016

Great find Gert-Jan van de Streek, both the 6.x versions are not working. Moving to 5.1.10 removed the problem.

Alok Singh February 25, 2016

Is this error fixed as it seems atlas-run-cloud --application jira-software is only available with 6.2.2 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

That error usually happens when there's an incompatible version of JAVA in use.  In this case, you look like you are running the right versions, but you do need to check the process - when it's starting and failing, can you use a "ps -ef" to show that it's definitely running /usr/lib/jvm/java1.8/bin/java and not a left over 1.7?   (Just because your command line would naturally run java 1.8 correctly, does not mean the SDK will...)

Alok Singh January 8, 2016

Thanks Nic, I tried ps ax | grep java 2145 ? Sl 4:51 /opt/atlassian/jira/jre//bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/atlassian/jira/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -Xms384m -Xmx768m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Dorg.dom4j.factory=com.atlassian.core.xml.InterningDocumentFactory -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/atlassian/jira/endorsed -classpath /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/atlassian/jira -Dcatalina.home=/opt/atlassian/jira -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/atlassian/jira/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start 22744 pts/3 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto java but I could not find any other java running.

Suggest an answer