5 User Instance of JIRA Running Extremely Slow - Tomcat taking up 50% Memory

Jason Stroble July 15, 2014

Our small team's JIRA is running extremely slow on our dedicated server and we happened to notice Tomcat is taking 50% of our systems resources.

1. It sounds like JIRA server requires Tomcat (runs within), is this correct?
  2. Although this server is old I would think it would be enough for this small instance and should run just fine ... with Tomcat taking 50% of the resources it seems that this is our biggest issue. If it is required to run Tomcat, as I think it is, is there anything I can do to free some resources?!

Currently we have:

• JIRA running as a service on a Windows 2008 64-bit dedicated server with a 2 GHz Processor and 2 Gb RAM.
  • 5 users using a small instance of JIRA (<Gb db size).
  • 50% of system resources being consumed by Tomcat.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014

1. Jira is a web-application that requires a Java application server. You could run it in anything that supports Java web applications (Jetty, JBoss, Websphere, yada yada yada), but Tomcat is the only one Atlassian supports.

2. Tomcat is not taking huge amounts of resources really, it's probably better to say "Tomcat and everything that this Tomcat is running is taking up resources". If you ran Tomcat without Jira installed, you'd probably barely notice it.

The issue with Jira being slow could be all sorts of issues, it's hard to say what the root cause is. How much memory is allocated to Jira? (Check the system information page in Jira to see that). Do you have virus scanners running on this box? (They're a known issue on Windows servers - the way Windows handles executables and virus scanners is a very broken design). How does your network handle in general? Are you running anything else on this server?

By instinct, I'd say your issue is probably memory, but you really need to do some analysis before assuming that. For a Windows machine, I'd generally try to allow at least 512Mb for a Jira with up to 50 users and at least 2Gb just to run Windows, so your server may well be underpowered

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014
You mentions windows. Any anti virus software? If so exclude the jira home dir (or at least the indexes)

Suggest an answer