404 error after restarting JIRA service on windows 7

Roland Mori June 14, 2014

I'm running JIRA 6.2 and Confluence 5.5 on the same server (windows 7) with separate Tomcats. Confluence was running on 8090 and JIRA was running on 8080. I had changed the session-timeout value and was restarting the jira service to have the new timeout value take effect. The JIRA service had trouble shutting down, but it did stop. I then restarted the service. Now, when I try to connect to port 8080, I get a 404 Web Page not found error.

The service is started and the Tomcat process is running. A netstat command shows no listener running on port 8080. It actually shows an 'established' connection from my desktop to port 8080, but that's definitely not the case.

The catalina log shows the error below, but line 36 of that file has not been changed. It reads <Context sessionCookieName="JIRASESSIONID" /Context>

I've researched causes of similar problems on the JIRA site & have been able to discount all of their solutions (I think)..

I'd appreciate any help you could provide on this problem. I'm by no means fluent in Tomcat & JAVA.

Thanks in advance.

Roland Mori

Jun 14, 2014 5:40:20 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester fatalError

SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 36 column 2: The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed.

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Atlassian/JIRA/conf/context.xml; lineNumber: 36; columnNumber: 2; The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed.

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Roland Mori June 14, 2014

Problem solved. We edited the context.xml file and put the sessionid in the first context statement in the file. I have no idea how the context statement was added to the end of the file - unless it was put there by running a config tool. It seems to me that the service would have had to been restarted for that change to take effect. But if that were the case, we would not have been able to connect on 8080.

Suggest an answer