401 Unauthorized from Account that Previously Worked

Hi, I've been using the JIRA REST API for some software I'm developing for a few weeks now, and it was working perfectly. I use HTTP Basic authentication for the time being, and had no issues.

As of yesterday, despite no changes in my application or my login credentials, I started getting 401 Unauthorized errors. Since the credentials the application was using were unchanged, I figured maybe I'd tripped some sort of account protection feature or something? I tried accessing the API through curl (e.g. `curl -u user:pass -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://my-jira.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue`, and got the same 401.

I tried logging out and back into the web interface, but was met with no login issues or challenges. Even after logging back in, I still saw the same issues from curl.

I thought maybe it was a rate limiting issue, and left it alone for a while. But when I came back this morning, I was still getting the 401.

Finally, without any idea what else to do, I changed my Atlassian password, and tried using curl again with the new password -- suddenly it worked.

I'm afraid that my software may be tripping some kind of account protection or spam blocking feature, but I can't find any documentation on any such thing. Moreover, I'm concerned about the fact that the only recourse I could find was to change my password, and that the web interface provided no hint that there was any issue.

Has anyone else seen this before? How can I prevent this from happening again, and what can I do if it does?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes

That is indeed strange. It is not a normal behavior for sure.

By any chance, did you have a session that was open in the web interface? Or are you using SSO to authenticate?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

419 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you