32-bit Jira 4.x to 64-bit Jira 5.x

Alex Nelson September 12, 2012

Is there a way to switch from a 32-bit version of Jira 4.x to 64-bit version of Jira 5.x? Or am I stuck on 32-bit Jira?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2012

Hi Alex,

Dennis is right, you can use the XML backup and import it in a new JIRA 5 64Bits instance. I just would like to give you a few more details about JIRA and Java versions.

In fact what define if JIRA will be 32 or 64 bits is the Java version, if you are using JIRA 4.x standalone, you can just install Java 64bits and edit your Java Home to start using JIRA over 64bits platform.

One important detail is that when using JIRA installer, it ships the Java bundled in it. In this case, the Java location is <JIRA_Install_directory>\jre

Aditionally to this, we have this documentation that has more details about upgrading JIRA.

I hope this information has helped.

Cheers.

0 votes
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2012

Prior to upgrading you can make an XML backup of your JIRA data, and then after installing JIRA 5 64bit you can import the XML backup.

Suggest an answer