2 statuses set as resolution, only 1 reflects on burn down

Mazen Hassan October 26, 2016

I have status "Done"  under column "Dev Complete"  which is a prereq for status "Complete" under the column "Accepted". I have both statuses set as resolution, however, only "Complete" reflects that a story has been closed on my burndown. 

Shouldn't both statuses reflect the same progress given that they are set as resolution?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Thanks for your prompt response Tom.  I will be removing the 2nd last column, and moving the status under it to the last column. THis way my last column will have both statuses "Complete" and "Accepted".  

2 questions:

1. Do I have to have both statuses set as resolution?
  2. If I make the above change in-sprint, will that affect my burn down at all?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

I don't understand "status set as resolution".  Do you mean you have filled in the resolution field when you arrive in those statues?  It's good practice to ensure any issue in the "done" column has a resolution set, as the reporting makes more sense.

jira workflow.png

In the above screenshot I have the columns Dev Complete and Accepted with the "Done" and "Complete" statuses respectively.  As per Tom's recommendation, I will move the "Done" status to the Accepted column.  However, do I keep both "done" and "complete" statuses "set as resolution" checked?

The goal here is to have the story resolved and reflected as progress in my burndown whether the story is "Done" or "Complete"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

It's not "set as resolution", it's "set resolution".  That tells the workflow to set a resolution (done) when issues go into that column, and remove it when moving to a column without it.

This is a healthy thing to do, as resolved issues (with a resolution set) are treated as dealt with by most of JIRA, but it is just for reporting and display.  As Tom mentioned, the charts rely on the columns, not the resolution.

Got it. I am currently in-sprint, and will need to combine the "Dev Complete" and "Accepted" columns as well as have both "done" and "complete" statuses under that column.  Will this instantly update the burndown chart given that i've already marked stories as dev complete in the 2nd last column? I am a little hesitant to modify it since I am in-sprint.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2016

You know, I'm not 100% sure.  I've always waited to be between sprints before adding to the done column.  I imagine it will change your chart though, and, you can always put the status back in its own column if it does something you don't like.

Thanks Nic!

2 votes
Deleted user October 26, 2016

This is a common question.

The burndown report does NOT look at the resolution field but only the Last Column in the board. I normally suggest creating another board that has both statuses in the last column. Use this one for the BurnDown report.

Suggest an answer