2 JIRA instances on 1 oracle DB with 2 different schemes

Marcus Lauschke June 11, 2012

Hallo together,

i have the following situation:

I have 1 oracle database with 2 separate users and 2 separat schemes. Now I want to create 2 JIRA instances (version 5.0.3) where each of them has one user and one scheme on the oracle db

Can I do it on this way? Or is it really not possible to work with 2 JIRA instances on one oracle DB?

With best regards

Marcus

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
At first thank you for your quick answerer. I try to explain the situation in a more detailed way: I have 1 database Server. On this server I have 2 user accounts. Each user has a separate scheme: user1 works on scheme1 user2 on scheme2. The users have no access to the datasets from the other users. The JIRA1 instance gets the user1 information (and access to scheme 1) JIRA2 gets the user 2 information (and access to scheme 2). In this situation it would be no problem to have 2 JIRA instances on one database server. Is it correct?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

Yes. I always get confused by Oracle's use of the word "schema", hence my reversion to emphasising "separate data sets".

That setup you've got there will have NO problems in my experience - it is exactly how I've run Jira with Oracle databases in the past (although I admit I had a real DBA set it up for me and only discovered what she'd done later - I didn't need to know, because it worked fine)

Like anvar.sadikhov likes this
0 votes
At first thank you for your quick answerer. I try to explain the situation in a more detailed way: I have 1 database Server. On this server I have 2 user accounts. Each user has a separate scheme: user1 works on scheme1 user2 on scheme2. The users have no access to the datasets from the other users. The JIRA1 instance gets the user1 information (and access to scheme 1) JIRA2 gets the user 2 information (and access to scheme 2). In this situation it would be no problem to have 2 JIRA instances on one database server. Is it correct?
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

I'm not sure I've understood the question, but I think you can do something like that. The important thing is that Jira-1 is using different data to Jira-2 and the two of them have no knowledge of each other's tables. So you could use two users and one schema, or two schemas with one user. However, I'd recommend 2 your current setup as they're clearly independent data sets that way.

Saying "one user and one scheme" to me implies that you'll have one Jira database though, with two Jira installations pointed at it - that categorically will not work, they must have separate data sets.

Suggest an answer