2. Is there a provision to keep inventory of hardware within the service desk tool.

Heena Kalra July 14, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2016

Not natively - the Service Desk application is aimed at being, well, a Service Desk.  Inventory is a different type of function.

A lot of people have used JIRA to do inventory management though, and it can work quite well with a bit of clever configuration (the usual approach is to have an inventory project with issues representing individual assets, so, for example, my laptop is INV-123, issue type "laptop", assigned to me as the owner, custom fields for serial number and make and so-on, and a workflow that includes getting it, me keeping it and remembering to return it when I leave, or junking it when it's too old and gets replaced, subtasks for maintenance, etc etc etc).  A couple of years ago, one of Atlassian's talks at Summit was about setting up such projects, because they do it themselves.

But, for something dedicated to inventory management, the recent add-on from Riada, called "Insight", is very much worth a look - it's far more featured than a simple project in JIRA, with full categorisation, interaction diagrams and the ability to pull asset information into both plain JIRA issues and Service Desk requests.

Suggest an answer