1k Releases Times out request

Adam_G January 3, 2018

I have a project that has over 1,000 releases. When They go to their project, then Releases, if the CPU for the JIRA Server is 20% or greater, the user will get an Ajax request timeout. After a restart of the JIRA application, the issue goes away, but it will crop up again if the CPU ever spikes up a bit intraday. The only topic I've seen on this type of issue related to the jira-help-tips add-on being disabled, which I have checked and that is not the case. I'm currently using Jira 7.2.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

There have been a lot of performance improvements in regards to Jira and Jira Software since that version.  Notably among them:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15295
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-13530

Both of these issues have fixes in later versions of Jira that address performance time out issues of a similar nature to that which you reported.   While having 1000 releases in a single project is certainly a lot, there have been a lot of performance fixes since that version that I would recommend taking advantage of by upgrading.   I would recommend upgrading either to the very latest of 7.6.2 or even to the latest 7.2.x version which is 7.2.12.  Both contain a lot of fixes since that time.  The 7.6.x branch has even more changes that can help with performance, but I can see a scenario where say, you have a plugin with Jira that maybe only works with 7.2.x that you want to continue to use.  In which case, I would still recommend an upgrade to 7.2.12.

Provided your license for Jira has not expired yet, you should be able to upgrade to the latest version for no additional cost.

If you are still seeing this problem after updating Jira to the latest version, I would be interested to see if we can create a support request on your behalf.  I am interested to see what kind of logs Jira generates during this time and to understand if there is any other adjustments that could be made in regards to resource allocation (Xmx and garbage collection) that could be made to help out here.

Suggest an answer