Σ Time Spent in Issue Navigator Reporting Incorrectly

Sheppe Pharis January 30, 2013

Here's the situation. I have some users who have set up a test to produce what seems to be a problem with the hours being reported in the Σ Time Spent field. Here's what they've told me:

"say for example a sub task is created, and assigned Person B, where Person A is the assignee on the task above. If person B logs hours against the subtask, those hours show on a work report for him, however those hours are also rolled up to the task above, so Person A's report also includes Person B's hours."

They produce this report in the Issue Navigator using a simple query: project = ABDC AND assignee = PA. In the example query, ABCD is the parent task, and PA is the id of "Person A" mentioned above. The results show the summed time for Person A on the parent task, and Person B's work on the sub-task, instead of just Person A's time.

Is this intended, or have they indeed uncovered a problem? The version of JIRA we're running is v5.1.1.

Thanks,

-Sheppe

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2013

I think that's doing the right thing.

I was about to type up some form of rambling explanation, but I think it's easier to work by explaining roughly what Jira is seeing.

First, you have a filter. That doesn't actually return data, it simply answers a question with a list of issues. What you're doing is "give me a list of issues in project ABDC with an assignee of PA".

Secondly, you're displaying the issues in that filter in the navigator. The navigator has a sigma field that adds up all the work done on the issues in the current navigator.

Thats it. What you're reporting is that the sigma field does not know that you only want to see the work done by person A. You have not told it that, and indeed, you can't. The field is there to add up ALL the work done - it has no way of knowing that you might only want to see worklogs for a particular user.

Does that make sense?

I think you need a custom report of some sort in order to get this data out in the way you're asking - you'll need some form of sigma field that scans the JQL for a relevant clause, or specifically asks for a user somehow.

Sheppe Pharis January 30, 2013

Thanks Nic. It makes perfect sense to me, but let me see what my user thinks. ;)

Suggest an answer