jira-sizing-guide

Vijay Sv February 20, 2019

What is the required hardware for Jira software, if App and Database run on two different machines. 

As per the kb: https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html I’m still curious about Atlassian's sizing guide as it doesn’t make a distinction between sizing of the database server vs. application server.  This leads me to believe the sizing guide is for a server that handles both roles.  In that case, we don’t have an accurate comparison.  Can anybody confirm?

Thanks,
Vijay

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2019

The sizing guide is for the Jira application server.

However, the requirements for the database server are quite minimal, and if you're running a simple database that's only serving Jira and no other databases, you'll find you can run it on the same server as Jira without needing to expand the specs for it.  It's quite rare that you'll find the database server consumes more than a couple of percent of the resources that Jira consumes, and the database storage is pretty minimal.

If you want a really rough-and-ready example, I know of a 50-user Jira install on a decently specified application server, but using a Raspberry Pi 2 as its database server.  The Pi has a USB disk attached with only 10Gb used (75% of which are the regular database exports for backup), and is running Postgres and a backup script and little else.  Its CPU ticks over at 3-5% usage during the times the users are active.  It's also serving the database for their Confluence and Bitbucket!

Personally, I would not go quite that low - Pi systems rely on MMC cards for the OS (even if it's just booting), and these wear out and fail more than I'd like.  It's fine for a test system though.  If you want a production database server, spec something more reliable, but you won't find the Atlassian stack stresses it.

Like Vijay Sv likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events