What would be your advice to first-time Jira Software admins?

Viewing page 4 of 6

142 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

DJM April 26, 2018

Hi,

i have been Admin for Tracker/CQ/TFS  for Jira it will be my request if we can have certification plan for Admin if they want to do.

Recently i see there are few from Atlassian.

Thanks

DJM

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2018

My silly little advice is: learn to say no.

People often look for a technology based solution for the "social" problems. I've had quite a few questions about global configuration changes, like setting worklog comments to mandatory or whatever you can imagine that affects the whole jira instance just because one project manager can't ask a stubborn employee to do something that everyone does without being a hassle.

Same goes for an overly-complicated workflow. When the user that's asking for a solution presented with an alternative idea, they often go for it. Especially if these solutions work without reconfiguring half of the instance. :)

That's my two cents. Hope it's useful.

Like # people like this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2018

Glad to see that my Bob & John examples have become obsolete on Cloud! 😃

I also love the new feature for setting Epics in the side panel, just like on Scrum boards.

Good job, Atlassian!!

Francesco Santi May 28, 2018

Hi @Sarah Schuster , at what point is the book?

Francesco

Sarah Schuster
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2018

Thanks for your question @Francesco Santi!

You can find the guide here: The Jira Software Cloud Administrators Guide.

Thanks!
Sarah Schuster

Kumaran Balachandran June 1, 2018

Great suggestions 

Carol Jones June 25, 2018

Having users pick from a list instead of requesting something new each time, yes!

Like Flash_Sheridan likes this

I love this graphic!

I voted on this one a couple years ago, would love to see it implemented for the same reason!

This full discussion string should be a mandatory read for all admins new and old!

Martin Gregory June 25, 2018

You know what I find astounding?   We all agree that template approach is the way to go, and this graphic capture that, and yet in their new design, just inflicted on us, they still have "create with shared configuration" right at the bottom of the list.  

Unbelievable.  They actually changed this dialog without fixing it.

Purchasing Rachel’s book now!

Like Tanwa Arewa likes this
BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

^^ Welcome to the club !! :)

Carol Jones June 26, 2018

Any chance there's a discount code floating around? :) I'm sure it's worth the price, was just more than I had anticipated ;)

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

@Rachel Wright ^^^ Is there a retailer you recommend?  

Carol Jones June 26, 2018

This would be a great topic, or even string of topics for upcoming AUG meet-ups.  I'd personally love to hear about the different comms others are using when users request a list of new custom fields.  Do you have a general statement you use to help steer them in the right direction?  We've found that even when we provide the list of available options, some have seen JIRA's flexibility in other setups and are not always willing to work with us.  I'd love to see the general comms, quick links, or ideas others are using to help walk through the benefits of the larger pictured shared configuration setup to regular users at the time of their requests so our team doesn't have to stop everything to give a 1-1 training.  Or if one doesn't exist, maybe I just volunteered myself to start it :)

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

Thanks @BillyP.  Hi @Carol Jones, I post coupons and periodic promos here:  https://www.jirastrategy.com/coupons.  Also, see if your employer will reimburse you.  This is a legit training budget expense! 

Like Tracey Van Gundy likes this
Nicki Repici September 11, 2018

YES. That was my biggest lesson learned, and after a week of clean up (and trying to figure out the best way to go about clean up), I think I learned it pretty well.

Nicki Repici September 11, 2018

This thread is awesome. 

My #1 piece of advice would be to remember that Jira cannot, and should not, do everything--and should not be over-customized to meet demands that are meant for other tools.

Like # people like this
Martin Gregory September 11, 2018

And yet, even with all the new "Experience" work, the "create with shared template" option is still hidden away down the bottom of the list.

Really, Atlassian, do you listen to anything we say?

mhw_ytg October 9, 2018

Informative thread, great comments. How do I filter down to just the discussions in this series? 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 9, 2018

@mhw_ytg here is a link to all the Jira lessons learned posts.  You can also check out the most-liked posts in our New to Jira collection, or start a discussion there yourself by clicking here.  Welcome to the community!

mhw_ytg October 9, 2018

Thanks Monique :) 

Jose Mercado October 26, 2018

Sometimes... depends how deep it is... 

Jose Mercado October 26, 2018

I agree, I feel there is a sense of lack of care for smaller business customers on the support side. Feels like they only want bigger corporate accounts that can afford a large sum for support etc.

This is great for slow working people that waste days messing around with systems and making a big deal about it. Even thought it could be a simple migration process. that could take just a few hours. 

A consultant's wet dream.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events