Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Force garbage collection mean in JIRA

Madhu Reddy September 16, 2019

What does Force garbage collection mean in JIRA.

By opting for force garbage collection will I loose any useful data. Which data comes under the garbage. Can anyone give me a detail of it.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, I don't have any idea on JAVA that's the reason I came to community for help.

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

Java processes all need memory to run in, so they take some and use it.  When they end, the memory is littered with objects that the JVM does not automatically know what to do with, so it leaves them alone.  Garbage collection is the process of looking at all of them and throwing away the ones that are definitely not needed, freeing up the memory for new processes.

You won't lose any data or much else by forcing a garbage collection, it is purely about cleaning the memory of the java virtual machine.

Like Balavinayagamoorthi likes this
Madhu Reddy September 16, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-So do yo suggest me to run Force Garbage connection.

Thanks for the Information.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

No, the JVM does it automatically when it needs to.  The button is there for the odd time memory might be a problem and you do it as a debugging thing.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events