Using a personal server for Jira training courses

Rebecca Hylek March 10, 2020

I recently spoke with someone that provided a training in Jira Align at my place of employment.  We spoke after the class and I mentioned that I'd like to increase my knowledge in all things Jira and obtain certifications along the way. 

The instructor suggested the Project Administration in Jira Server as a good starting point and mentioned that having a server available to load the application on would allow me to view things as a "super-admin".

We recently closed a business and have a couple of older servers, are there any specs available on what you would recommend for someone taking the courses?  As an FYI, I will be using a MAC for the training with Office 365 loaded (if that matters).

Because there's a timeline to complete the course any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2 comments

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2020

Here is the official Hardware Requirement reference page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/jira-applications-installation-requirements-938846826.html

But really, for a single user, you can use almost anything including your own laptop. It just might run a little slower.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2020

It is also worth looking at the docker images that are available as these provide a quick way of getting and restoring images to work on.  If you can install docker it would then allow you a very quick way of starting/stopping different versions/applications as you need them for your training. 
There is lots of great material for Administrators on the Atlassian youtube channel as well as some free training from Atlassian University at https://training.atlassian.com/free-training-catalog

This should help you get started. 

Phill

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events