Upgrade and Migrate or Migrate and Upgrade

shyamnguitar March 3, 2019

Hi Team,

We are planning both upgrade and existing products from AWS1 Cloud VMs to AWS2 Cloud VMs. Please suggest about the following Atlassian stack

1. Atlassian tools (Jira 7.10.0 -> 8.0)
  2. Confluence 6.9.0 -> 6.12.0
  3. Bitbucket 5.12 -> 5.15

Please note that we don't want to migrate to a new database and all. it would be the same.

I would need information and help on the following

• Any special upgrade procedures as per the versions mentioned above ?
  • Procedure for Migration 
  • Procedure for upgrade
  • How would I take care of user authentication and credentials
  • One tool at a time or at bulk. Is there any option for Bulk migration
  • Any professional services provided by Atlassian  

3 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2019
  • Any special upgrade procedures as per the versions mentioned above ?
    • No.  Read the release notes and upgrade docs
  • Procedure for Migration 
    • See the docs for migrating from one server to another
  • Procedure for upgrade
    • See the docs for upgrades
  • How would I take care of user authentication and credentials
    • Same way you do now
  • One tool at a time or at bulk. Is there any option for Bulk migration 
    • You'll need to do each separately - each service is slightly different
  • Any professional services provided by Atlassian  
    • Atlassian don't do services like this.  You might want to engage with one of their solution partners if you have problems
Like LarryBrock likes this
shyamnguitar March 4, 2019

Hi Nic, 

Am looking for specific pointers on mentioned versions and approach given the scenario of the same. 

Please see if the following approach is fine.  

1. Info gathering on artefacts, DB, Users, versions, plugins 

2. First setup the same version of the tool in target AWS VM.

3. Migrate the artifacts from source to destination. 

4. Test it for a week with users to access the same. Make of list of config changes you have done during this testing period

5. Everything is fine, then setup in prod , do the configuration steps learnt in step4 and go live

How is the license management handled here

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2019

That is a good list of things to do, and in the right order.

For the licence, you can use a "developer" licence - it can be found behind a link that appears under the licence key for your main commercial licence.  These are for migrations, upgrades, development, testing, disasters - all the things you might want to do to "support" your main installation.

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2019

Hi @shyamnguitar

I'll second all that @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- said.  The key items are thoroughly document what you do and test, test, test.

~~Larry

Like shyamnguitar likes this
shyamnguitar March 26, 2019

Thanks Nic. It will help if you can share the URL (Developer licnese)

One new query about AWS marketplace for Atlassian stack. We are doing the DC migration and then upgrade. 

We will leverage AWS market place for Jira DC setup. What am not sure is while  we setup and migrate the data. We need to upgrade the same also. Currently we are not aware how do we handle the upgrade for this DC setup of Jira

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2019

That's now a 3-stage project, but again, you could do it in any order.  However, I would not bother going to DC until after you have moved to AWS, as that would be extra work on servers you're going to throw away.

In this case, I would

• Upgrade Jira Server
  • Move it to AWS as a single server
  • Convert it to Data Centre

But, I'd be perfectly comfortable reversing the first two steps, especially if your AWS server is going to be faster than the existing server.

As for the developer licence, log into your atlassian account, find the Jira licence and look beneath it for the link.

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2019

I agree that doing the DC conversion last is the best order. Otherwise work has to be duplicated across several nodes. 

shyamnguitar April 19, 2019

Thanks Larry and Nic. Please suggest if we can go ahead with direct upgrade or intermediate upgrades 

Bitbucket 5.12 to Bitbucket 5.15

Jira 7.10.0 to Jira 8.0

Confluence 6.9.0 to Confluence 6.12.0 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2019

Yes, most of the time, but read the release notes for each intermediate version, and as Larry says, test test test.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events