cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The reasoning behind port 8080

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2019

This is something that has been "bothering" me for a while and I just can't seem to find a clear answer for it.

What is the reasoning behind JIRA using port 8080 instead of the default 80 (HTTP-non S)?

I can understand this being needed in a multi tenant environment but other than that it just doens't make sense in my mind to use 8080 as a default port.

What's everybody's take on this? Are you actually using port 8080 (and perhaps using a reverse proxy to redirect) or did you change it to a more common sense 80/433?

Would you love to hear your thoughts on this.

1 comment

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

Hi,

on Linux all ports below 1024 are privileged & need some extra configuration.

See

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10182798/why-are-ports-below-1024-privileged

We use port 8009 via AJP with an Apache HTTPD reserve proxy to handle all the SSL/TLS stuff.

Best

JP

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Great!

That clears things up. I'm working mainly in a windows environment and there we don't really need to take this in to account.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events