#SundaySillyness: The World's Longest Sprint !

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2019

Good morning Community! It's already morning in Australasia and so it is time for some #SundaySillyness:

Well... it happened. My company broke Agile. 😨

We literally took the playbook, threw it out the window and said "Hey you... Best Practises! Yeah you!! F-orget YOU!"

So what happened? Well, you know those little things called Sprints...? You know! The ones most teams hold for a short period of time - normally between 2 to 6 weeks...?
Yeah, those.
Well, at my company ........ they're not so little.

Whilst most companies are dealing in weeks our company has gone big.... no not months... not even quarters.... we be talking:
YEARS ! 😳😜
It's a case of "Go Big.... and then forget where home is."

So today I finally closed a Sprint from a nasty old legacy project I inherited last year (against my will!)... and when we finally got the absolute last task out the door and could close not just the sprint but the entire project, it had reached a whopping 1y, 2m, 13d, 6h ! !

I think I now might be up for Worst Project Manager Of The Year 😵🏆👏 which is ironic, because I am a total Methodology Nerd, plying most of my trade by coaching (read: dictating) others on Best Practices... especially Sprint Mgmt!  
#AgileFail Hah hah! 😅
Will now have to redeem myself with a handy blog about Sprint Mgmt best practices.

So does this give you any horror flash backs to sprints that got out of hand...?
What's the worst Sprint you've ever suffered? Were you PM, PO, Scrum Master, Dev, other?
Perhaps you're stuck in murky sprint right now and need a helpful reminder that elsewhere the grass isn't much greener... (in fact it's pitch black!)
Maybe you know of an even longer sprint!? (I would love to hear of one!).
Either way, always nice to have a good laugh at some else's expense. Enjoy this ridiculous Sprint Report screenshot, fresh from Jira!

ARPro_WorldsLongestJIRASPRINT_2.jpg

1 comment

Comment

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Congratulations @Andy - PTC Redundant on that eventual "done done!"  Might have taken a record-setting length of time but didn't clicking that close button bring a great sense of accomplishment?  Cheers!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Thanks @LarryBrock!! Yes, it was absolutely the BEST. Felt so good.... recently I found loads of old legacy projects that were archived but with sprints and tasks open. Cleaning that up and getting it all straight felt so uplifting ! ! CHEERS ! 🥇🥂

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events