Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure and Projects Count-down towards a deadline date

minghua June 12, 2017

I've seen this question about Structure & Workload Analysis For Complex SW Projects (Agile) and have created a structure across multiple projects.

The question is how to check the progress of all the tasks at top-level nodes of the hierarchy against a pre-set deadline date?

Let's say, I've configured project 1 to have started progressing today this sprint. But project 2 will will only start to progress next sprint. The deadline will be the end of three sprints away. Both project 1 and project 2 are top-level folders. How to see the agregate time remaining on each project against a set deadline in three sprints?

In the columns, one can select time-estimate, time-spent, time-remain to track progress against the percentage of completion. Now I'd like to add probably also the calendar time that has elapsed since all projects started or individual started, time left till the deadline date. So I can compare the time-remain against the time-left.  Is this the way how you should do it? And how exactly on the structure tool?

Thanks.

1 comment

Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2017

Hello Minghua,

Strucutre Formula columns allow to do pretty complex calculations, but the problem in this case is that the total remaining estimate for all the tasks won’t get us the date, because there are multiple people working on different tasks and depending on that, the estimated finish date will change.

This use case will be addressed in the Gantt extension for strucute, which we are working on right now.

Or is there some simpler way to calculate this in your case not taking into account resource allocation?

Thank you,

Eugene

minghua June 16, 2017

Great! So when will the Gantt extension be released?

Yes, I eventually created a deadline-only issue which carries only a due-date field. Then add that issue to the structure, and add the column for "due in" so the days left will be displayed on the same page of how much work is left. Also group issues for each person into a folder. Thus just compare the remaining-estimate against the "due in" column, it gives pretty much what I wanted.

Thanks for the formula idea, sure I'll look at that too.

Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2017

Sounds good! Please don't hesitate to contact us here or via support.almworks.com.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events