Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting of a custom number field

Robert Ditusa May 24, 2017

We are using jira boards for our developers. I created a custom field for us to sort tickets by ascending values. When I try to sort though, the numbers do not go in order.
Is there a specific field or option that needs to be done in the custom field?
Please see screen shot for order priority field where it is not in order.Sort.PNG

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2017

I think you've set up your custom field as a text field or possibly a select list.

If you need a numeric sort, you need to use a numeric field.

Robert Ditusa May 25, 2017

Yes it is a text feild. I tried to do a number field and the number when sort by ascending goto the bottom of the last page.

When you sort it the opposite way it goes from low to high. It is very weird.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Ok, so is using a number field working now?  I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with this sorting stuff.

Robert Ditusa May 25, 2017

No it looks like below. The sort is the wrong way. When you descending the number go to the last page. If the order is empty it goes to the top.

sort2.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2017

That looks correct to me - 750/775/800 then "no number found" (which is not the same as zero)

Goran Dermeta August 27, 2018

Hi Nic,

is it possible to set JIRA so that empty values are sorted as lowest value, like below 0.

If I want to have issues sorted by custom field with number valued rating from highest to lowest, it would be helpful to first have issues with highest value to lowest, with empty fields sorted in the end.

As is now, we currently have eg. 10 pages of unsorted tickets with empty values, then they start with highest value to lowest in the last page.

Maybe a workaround where sorting would in some way disregard rows with no value?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2018

You'd need to rewrite the sorting code in Jira to put <no value> in a different place.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events