Someone is using Jira to send Spam emails

Klice July 14, 2022

Hi everyone,

I just received an SPAM email from Cloud Jira service:

image.png

I verified and it indeed came from Jira.
Someone created a new project and started tagging people in tickets to send them emails.

Not sure how widespread this is, but I personally see it for the first time.

Maybe Atlassian should implement some guide rails to prevent users from abusing the service this way.

5 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

It's not so much the abuse of service that's the problem here, but that Atlassian make it easy to create Atlassian accounts.  You need to have an Atlassian account before you can create an Atlassian Cloud site (and then go on to abuse it).  Atlassian Cloud systems are not the only place that have this problem - the Community here gets several spam accounts posting junk every day (and sock-puppet accounts, and external spam, and....)

In other words, it's too easy to create a fake Atlassian account.

It's not an easy line to walk - Atlassian want people to find it easy to create an account and go on to sign up for Cloud services, but when it's too easy, it's open to abuse.

Anyway, the Community can't help with this directly, we have no control over other people's Cloud sites.

But when this was a bigger problem, Atlassian ended up setting up a dedicated abuse reporting email for exactly what you're getting.

There are other conversations about these which have a load of detail, but the TLDR version is that Atlassian have asked us to forward spam from these dubious sites to abuse@atlassian.com (just forward the email with full headers, no more information or explanation needed)

Like Klice likes this
Deleted user May 21, 2023

Gotta bump this, because I got 3 different spam notification in a day from jira. I'm assuming this is gonna be a huge problem?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2023

See the answer I gave a year ago, there's not a lot more we can tell you.

Deleted user May 24, 2023

Same here:

attlasian_spam.png

It's only a part, about a dozen is already deleted

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please read the previous answer I gave July 14 last year.  At least the last paragraph.

eonyanov2014 May 24, 2023

Same issue. How to stop it?

Screenshot 2023-05-25 111504.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Have a read of (at least) the last paragraph of the first comment.

eonyanov2014 May 27, 2023

I am not satisfied with your answer.
You can add management of global (account) notification settings for existing users. And for the new one, leave it as it is now.

Like Rodionov Rodion likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2023

I'm sorry you're not "satisfied", but it is the only answer to the question.

Lashavian Richardson August 24, 2023

I got one this morning,after I was already logged in. Yes I have to admit they dangle large amounts of money in front of people. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2023

Please read the last paragraph in the first comment made (and the rest of the comment if you are interested in the wider problem)

Lashavian Richardson August 25, 2023

My invite didn't come through spam 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2023

I don't understand what you mean.  Do you mean your spam filter did not see it as spam?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events