Seeking guidance - A Jira Project for each real world "Project'?

Robert Quinn May 4, 2023

We are looking at consolidating 4 Jira Software cloud instances - but some groups use a separate Jira Project for each real-world project - and other groups have 1 Project per Program Group/Platform and use either "Component" or "Fix Version" fields to record the name of the "Real-World Project" that issue relates to.  This lets everyone work out of their one Platform while doing work across multiple "projects" - also we can relate one issue to multiple "Real-world projects" this way - as some digital development work impact multiple "real-world projects" - since Epic link cannot do that many Epics related on any 1 issue/

What are your thoughts? Do you spin up a separate Jira Project for each real-world effort?

Trying to understand the various Advantages/Disadvantages and possible future repercussions.

1 comment

Comment

Mike Rink
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 4, 2023

Speaking for draw.io, our Jira project is run more like a "team" project. The larger scale "real-world" projects are planned as Epics, but everything still lives on the same main team project board. This approach keeps everyone together, and I think better reflects our agile reality. 

Like Robert Quinn likes this
Robert Quinn May 4, 2023

Thanks, Mike - appreciate you weighing-in.

That aligns with one camp - and where they need a multi-relationship for Issues - I think Component makes the most sense since an issue can only link to 1 Epic.

I see that natively Components exist in 1 project and Epic-Link spans across - so that makes sense structurally.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events