cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Jira in a container

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Hi, I know that a lot of companies are now running their Jira instances within containers, and I have recently noticed that Atlassian offer Docker images for both Jira & Confluence.

I'm curious as to what would lead you down this path?  As far as my understanding of containers goes, they are extremely useful for application development, allowing a consistent image to be passed from Dev to QA to Production etc.  Also startup/shutdown times are greatly improved, as is the ability to quickly create new instances.

However, do any of these benefits of using containers really lend themselves to a Jira instance?  Most setups will consist of a heavily used production instance, and perhaps a dev/test instance for validating changes or add-ons.  I can't see a scenario where I'd want to quickly create a new instance of Jira.  Also the startup/shutdown benefits are not that important as it happens so rarely.

Appreciate your thoughts/advice on this...

1 comment

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Hi,

one advantage could be a future move of your environment to a cloud solution. A container can be transferred much easier to AWS or Azure. Cloning an instance is also much easier.

It's a good choice, if you've got a container based environment already.

We still use VMWare VMs for our servers, but as VMWare seems to be supporting docker images in the future, we might rethink our solution.

Best

JP

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events