Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing usernames in JIRA Cloud due to GDPR

Johan Lindgren June 19, 2018

This item make little to no sense to me. If it is a public forum/free application then that can make sense but in a corporate environment it makes no sense as there has to be abilities to have responsibility and logging for work done as well as keeping track of who did what.

So, I strongly oppose to removing usernames in Atlassian Cloud for paying customers.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2018/06/say-goodbye-to-usernames-in-atlassian-cloud

Sincerely,

Johan T. Lindgren

1 comment

Comment

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Hi Johan,

Perhaps I'm reading the announcement incorrectly, but it does not seem like Atlassian is taking away any of the site-admin's ability to track changes or of the users to log work under their own identity; rather they are eliminating one of the three fields used for this purpose.

Currently, the user John Doe can be identified as username jdoe1234, display name John Doe, or email jdoe@email.com. It sounds like that with this change only the username jdoe1234 is being eliminated. 

-Scott

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

That's also what I understand:

Atlassian accounts use the email address as the unique identifier

Usernames (...) will eventually be phased out in favor of display names

So you'll still be able to track who did what based on emails and display names.

- Manon

Christa Lourens July 18, 2018

Does anybody know how to make the  Display Names appear as they should or did? 

Even if I log in as the user I cannot edit the name under the Profile for Full Name fields. 

I understand it needs to be stripped from the API but currently, the return is a bit problematic for us. 

Any new users I now add to our company's cloud has a generic format i.e johndoe81@something.com instead of johndoe@something.com or then just John Doe. 

A new Display name field should be added to either /admin/users/ and /admin/users/view 

or /secure/ViewProfile.jspa 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events