Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REST API access while JIRA is protected by SAML supported IDP (or through Seraph plugin)

Pravin Bansal June 4, 2018

I have seen many discussion around this area, but nothing seems to be concrete.

Issue here is that once customer goes for SSO authentication they would never want their users to keep maintain their passwords with in JIRA, that means white listing REST API while SAML sso in place is not an option.

While i was going through a bit on documentation found  https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/oauth/

oAuth , JIRA recommended way to authenticate REST Api's however i would like to confirm if this works for all different ways JIRA allows SSO integrations , whether its JIRA Supported  (SAML) or non supported ex. through Seraph plugin.

Please share your experience if anyone has gone with oAuth yet.

Thanks

1 comment

Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Hi @Pravin Bansal,

I cannot give you a universally correct answer - because it does depend on the exact implementation of SAML Solution/App for Jira you are using.

I work for resolution and we provide this plugin we write: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212130/saml-single-sign-on-sso-jira-saml-sso

For our plugin I can say we leave the Rest API & authentication in Peace to that Application Links etc (like in your example) work without any problems.

I would expect this to be true for most other App's too as once you start breaking Application Links people will generally notice, but like I can't promise. Easiest thing is probably ask the Vendor of your choice and/or test with a trial version.

Cheers,
Christian

Pravin Bansal June 4, 2018

Hi @Christian Reichert (resolution) Thanks for message , While passwords are stored at IDP , user name gets created in JIra as user logs in first time to JIRA (through SSO), how does the authentication works if a rest API is called with this user (who doesn't set the password in JIRA) -- is there any ways out here which allows a seemless API call for such users.

Thank you

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events