Purging spam accounts from Jira?

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2017

Hi guys - I'm using both Scriptrunner and Jira CLI to manage user accounts and manage custom fields in our large Jira instance - we've recently been hit by a flurry or spam accounts in the run up to a trade show

Currently we are making the calls as spam, then manually deleting them, but tidying up the created accounts afterward is a pain in the bum.

What I'd quite like to work out, is how when we move an incident into **SPAM** that we would delete the incident, and any created user accounts

Equally for the existing spam accounts (some of which have caused loops) I want to work out how we can delete any associated comments, or change the ownership of those comments to a dummy account and purge them.  We've got almost 1000 in that state, and since our helpdesk manager left a year ago, I wasn't aware of how bad it had gotten.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution for managing this?  I'd like to make sure that we can handle this in an appropriate way moving forward, so I'm open to ways that this can be acheived

1 comment

Comment

Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Hey Scott, 

Can I ask you how you marked those issues as SPAM ? Is it with a custom field or is it an issue status ?

Also you mentioned 

tidying up the created accounts afterward is a pain in the bum.

So are those acounts the reporters of the spam issue ?

And when you say delete you mean completely remove those issues from the instance or just mark them as CLosed ?

Kind regards, Thanos

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2017

Hey Thanos, it's with issue type, so it gets moved to an issue type of **SPAM** but arguably, any options are available

So we'd like to completely remove the issue, then delete the reporter account

I was thinking that I could change the reporter to a generic account, then delete the original reporter, then delete the issue but I don't know whether this would be available directly in scriptrunner and it was too hard to think about on a Monday morning :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events