Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent/block time logging in the past

Deleted user October 29, 2020

Time logging in Jira is used for time reporting to clients, contractors, and so on. 
Presently, Jira users can modify their time logs in the past. Hence, they may log certain time, a report will be submitted based on these hours. Then the user can modify its hours in the past. Then a new report will present a different info. Such discrepancy disqualifies Jira and its plugins from being source of truth for time logs. 
Our company has to present a daily report of hours to clients. Then at the end of month we present a monthly report. These two reports do not reconcile, because team members can log their time after a daily report was already sent. 
Same issue with contractors: they log one time at the end of day and then they may modify their time by mistake and submit a monthly receipt for a different amount. 
It is too easy to make a mistake and log time to a wrong date. And it is very hard to check time logs on a daily basis for many team members. So, hard to enforce the idea that time logs in the past should be avoided. 

My suggestion: provide an option to prevent time log in the past. For example, lock time log that was submitted more than X hours ago. 

4 comments

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hi @[deleted]

If you want it to be taken as a suggestion I suggest (ha!) raising it as a support ticket with Atlassian or creating it at https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/ 

If you're looking for an alternative method of working perhaps I can suggest an app?

We've had good experiences with Tempo. You can use their Tempo Timesheets app to track time and have them be submitted for approval. It integrates nicely with JIRA worklogs and you can prevent them from changing the times once a timesheet is submitted/approved. 

Your reporting would then come just from the approved timesheets.

Perhaps that is an options (altho it requires an investment)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6572/tempo-timesheets-time-tracking-reports?hosting=cloud&tab=overview 

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

This is also possible with the one of the cheapest time tracking apps for Jira - Time Reports, please see https://primetimesheet.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/blog/2019/10/28/775323649/Log+Work+Retrospectively

Thank you.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Didn't Tempo acquired Prime Timesheets some time ago ? :) 

Press Release 

Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

You can do these kind of controlling with WorklogPRO. My experience is most clients have different needs about when and who can modify worklogs. Also a lot of people tends to log their work at the end of week/month. A simple mechanism of not allowing past worklogs will not work. 

jorge_costa July 14, 2021

this "yes, if you buy a cheap plugin" policy makes me sick by the day, wasted a lot of time and money migrating to one of the most used platforms to realize it's just another broken unicorn

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events