Portfolio Setup for Multiple Projects using Themes, Initiatives, Epics, User Stories

Balaji Muniraja March 11, 2018

Hi, 

We have One org. wide Theme with Three Initiatives, supported by the work done by 9 jira projects. Wanted expert suggestion on how to configure the Theme, Initiatives, Epics & User Stories when we go for Jira Portfolio.

The Portfolio documentation suggests that, create the Theme & Initiatives in a Dedicated Project and keep the Epics, User Stories at Individual project levels and connect through parent-link column.

Would like to know from the community that is that only a solution or do we have any other solutions as well.

Thanks and Regards

Balaji.M

4 comments

Actually, there are 4 Themes and 12 initiatives supported by 15 jira projects

Team Structured Around Domains

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 5.27.20 PM.png

Org Wide Theme, Initiatives and Domain/Work Allocation

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 5.26.34 PM.png

Each Project have their Own Backlog which will have items related to Themes, Initiative, Connected via Themes

Need help on how to structure the Themes, Initiatives, Epics

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 5.34.56 PM.png

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2018

Hi @Balaji Muniraja,

Yes, you are on the right direction when creating a dedicated project for "higher-up" issues such as your company's "themes & initiatives". Here is instructions on how to do it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-802170489.html

Next steps to help you would be:

1. To let teams view and edit the parent link field in Jira issues, expose "parent link" on the epic & initiative issues across your existing Jira projects, learn how here
  2. Next, create a Portfolio plan or a few, depends on how your teams' work related. You will need to add the initiative project as a source to each plan

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hi Roi,

Thanks, it's useful suggestion and now trying to build the plan. Please can you help me with this.

Each team will work on fixed monthly cadence rolling upto a Quarter. My approach is to create

1. Individual Release for each team

2. When selecting the source, do i need to pull based on the board or project ?

3. Select the Individual releases

4. Are there any conditions, EPICS cannot go more than a release?

Which should show the items, is my understanding correct?

Also, if the board is not showing the items, please an you let me know what could be the reason?

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.38.44 PM.png

Thanks and Regards

Balaji.M

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2018

Hi @Balaji Muniraja,

Sure, no worries. 

You can choose either the board or the project as a plan source. The benefits of a board only come to play either you have a scrum team(sprints will be synced in the plan) or your board is based on a filter. You can learn more here

Epics can span multiple releases, depends on the nature of your teams' work.

I hope that helps,

Cheers, 

Thanks, this helps. Still more way to go. Will keep posting questions.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events