Need to sideline imported JIRA users

Tom McCobb January 17, 2020

We imported from a JIRA 4.1 server to the Cloud recently, and the process involved stepping through about 4 intermediate upgrades. 

In our JIRA 4.1 server, we had one account set up for each customer and each customer had a separate support project.  All access to the customer support project was via the API using the user account credentials for the customer, and the reporter for the issue was set to the customer user account.  Email addresses of a contact at the customer was set in the customer user support account. 

After importing to the cloud, these customer support user accounts have had all access revoked. 

We now use JSD to handle all customer initiated help tickets and occasionally linking to a JIRA project when time required to resolve exceeds a certain threshold. The problem that I am having is that when I try to add a customer to JSD as a JSD customer and the email address of the individual is assigned to the old JIRA support user account, JSD will not let me. It identifies the email as an existing inactive JIRA user.  

Here is a weird thing:  In the JIRA user screen, I can "delete" the old support account, but it doesn't really delete it, even though the process completes with an affirmative message. Yet after going through the "delete" process, I can then add the customer email on as aJSD customer without complaint.

That is not (unsurprisingly) solving anything.  When the customer tries to log into the JSD portal, he is taken to the general Atlassian login for active users, and is allowed into the old JIRA project (even though he has no site access).  

It seems that if I could just change the email addresses (to a 'dummy' email address) on the old user support accounts the problem would go away. The only way Jira Cloud lets me do that is by emailing the email change request to the customer for approval. I just went through the process with a customer and she got the email change request, but it didn't change the email in the old account, it create a new user in Jira with the new address. Even if it did work, I would rather not have to go through that process 40 times.

So, how much of a mess have I made and what is the best path forward?

2 comments

Comment

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2020

Hi @Tom McCobb 

In this case, do the following:

1. Activate the user
  2. Remove the user(s) from all groups that grant access to an application (all license consuming group)
  3. After this these users can be added as customers.

Cheers

Tom McCobb January 20, 2020

Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events