Migration

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2019

Good Day,

we have four servers one for staging, another one for production same continued for database.

They are working on 2012 windows servers.

Now we are going to migrate server to 2016 cloud.

As of now we are using the latest version of JIRA software and JIRA SD.

Can some one suggest with their experience and also what will be needed to be done so thing should work with out any interruption.

2 comments

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

@Fahad Siddiqui  This is going to be a very easy ride for you.

Migrating machine is as simple copy-pasting all resources and setting from one server to another.

Few tips are,

• Try to keep path structure same on both server (so you don't have to change lots of settings)
  • Make sure Jira ports are open on new server
  • Make sure you have identical Java versions
  • And as usual migrate staging server first.

Happy migration, may your Jira run faster and smoother.

Like Fahad Siddiqui likes this
Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2019

Hi,

This will be first time i will be doing migration. but still i have time so i need your professional  suggestions.

What i understand is that, i need to download JIRA on the new servers first? Also database?

Another thing will JIRA instance support 2016 Cloud server?

Do you have any documents which can help also if there are videos related on this.

related to above as you mentioned path structure are you pointing on location of backups, location of attachments?

For JAVA related answer can you clarify more.

sure i will be asking questions related to migration and thank you for your usual support and professional answers. 

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

Some addition...

Also i am planing to change the database from My Sql to SQL?

what you guys suggest.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

@Fahad Siddiqui  please do not migrate database and server at the same time. First migrate server and let system stabilize and them migrate your database.

By path structure I meant location of home and installation directory. Try to keep things similar to old machine as much as possible. (if you have more RAM on new server, yes you can change memory parameter, this doesn't affect installation)

This document here will give you full insight - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-938846962.html

Try this on staging, you will learn it with ease.

Like # people like this
Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

Ok...

which database you suggest ?

MYSQL or SQL

on cloud server? 

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

@Fahad Siddiqui  I always prefer Postgres or an open/free database server. So MySQL among choices you have given.

In my experience MySQL perform better than MSSQL Server.

But as you are using MSSQL currently, stay on it till server migration is completed. Once you get fully satisfied with server migration, start database migration process.

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

For Cloud server 2016? What you suggest on this?

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019

There are lots of factor involve in deciding this,

• First and foremost, what does your DBA/Admin suggest
    • Whatever database you use your DBA/Admin must have experience in them
  • If you are a big company, MSSQL is good choice because it will fit in best with your other existing enterprise infrastructure needs
  • What DB you are using for other services?
    • This is also very important point, try to stick to one kind of database for all services. It will lot easier for you to manage.
  • Cost of ownership,
    • MySQL/Postgres shines, you can install them on linux machine and they are free
    • On other hand, MSSQL need license from Microsoft

I can't think of more reasons, I prefer Postgres everywhere just because I run all my current infrastructure on Postgres.

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2019

Seeing your feedback and advice i will sure ask the DBA team, but i can understand one thing here is to stick on the same database. 

For Cloud WIN server 2016? What you suggest on this is this compatible ? as currently we are not on cloud and we are using JIRA on server 2012.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019

I think every modern database is supported.

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2019

Thank you very much......

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019

@Fahad Siddiqui I think it should also go without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway run a number of test migrations before you attempt to do your production migration.  The more you have run through all the steps/actions you are going to take the complete the migration the more confident you will be when it comes time to do it for production.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2019

@Fahad Siddiqui Great question! I'm going to move this to our Cloud Migrations collection, so you can get even more responses from folks.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019

@Erica MossThis is actually related to Jira Server to Server migration.

Like Erica Moss likes this
Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2019

@DPKJ  do you have any youtube link or video for Migration from Jira Server to cloud Server migration.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2019

@Fahad Siddiquithere are no instructional video, but there are 1-2 video that give overview of process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKPwIS-dio

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events