Migrating to JIRA 8.2

jean houssin June 3, 2019

Hello, I want to migrate the version of JIRA 6.3.7 to version 8.2. Can you explain to me the procedure to apply? I can not find the answers. Thanks

1 comment

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2019

Hi,

if you re not so fimiliar with those types of upgrade I recommend you contact any Atlassian Solution Partner company in your country.

https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/

It needed several interim versions and probably a lot of manual steps. 

jean houssin June 4, 2019

Hi ! Thanks for your message ! 

Can you tell me the main steps to migrate? It's a DataBase MySQL.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2019

Main and general steps you can find in those articles and knowledge bases.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-applications-938846936.html

Be careful regarding checklist

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrade-checklist-966063320.html

If you will choose installer method follow this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-server-installer-938846937.html

I can recommend you go through this way:

6.3.7 -> 6.4.14 -> 7.0.11 -> 7.13.3 -> 8.2.1

Like Martin LALONDE likes this

thank you very much for that !!  that helps a lot. Do you have a idea of a planning ?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2019

What you mean with planning?

I would like to make a provisional schedule for this migration but I do not know how long it takes for this

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2019

First do this on test environment - then you will know what problem you can expect on production and how much time it will take.

Based on my experience - if you don't have any special add-ons and customizations - it could take on production whole weekend (better start at Friday afternoon after bussiness hours).

ok I understand better. So the weekend would be enough to migrate to version 8.2.1 ?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2019

If there will not be any serious problem - then yes.

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

Hello @jean houssin - I encourage you to heed these very wise words from @Petr Vaníček - "First do this on test environment - then you will know what problem you can expect". 

This is not a trivial change you are making.  You will likely need to work out problems in your test environment (which should be a copy of your production environment, not a vanilla installation) at several stages.  Practices this until it is a well-documented and smooth operation.  Then you will be better prepared with a comprehensive plan, fairly accurate time estimates, and be able to focus more on the unexpected things that will happen during your production outage.

~~Larry Brock

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events