Mapping two jira boards

rajan jinesh October 20, 2021

Hi ,

I need to have two boards , one for development and other for testing team ,objective of creating two boards is to make use of reporting like burdown , velocity reports of how much was developed by dev team and tested separately for testing team , I had created two boards separately  and right most column in first board appearing in first column of the second board for the testing team  but the problem is when the stories are moved in the second board ,the first board stories no more exist in the right most column , it disappears and also I am not able to make use of any reporting related to development stories since no stories exist in the first board  once the second board stories are moved further.

I need to have all stories in right most column for development board present permanently so that  I can make use of reports for the development team and also use the same  stories that were in the first board right most column  in testing team board and move it to closure for the testing team . Need to capture reports separately for development team testing team separately. Can you please guide me.

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Yes, that's a setup I recommend when you've got split teams.  On the most simple level, yes, the two boards are set up correctly, but there's one thing missing.

Let's imagine the workflow is really simple and says:

New -> dev -> dev-done -> test -> released

You have probably set up your developer team board as something like

• To do: New
  • In progress: dev
  • Done: dev-done

And the Test team board as

• To do: dev-done
  • In progress: test
  • Done: released

This will work fine for your testers.  But your developers reporting will break in some cases, most noticably when it happens during a sprint!  If a tester picks up an issue that is in dev-done and moves it to test, which drops it out of the developer board completely, and hence out of the velocity report.

So, the fix here is simple - leave the test board as it is, but change the developer board so that the columns are:

• To do: New
  • In progress: dev
  • Done: dev-done, test, released

Issues will stay in the last column now, and hence the reporting will remain accurate!

APPANDARAJAN October 20, 2021

TestTeam-Fig-2.PNGTestTeam-Fig-3.PNGdid the same , now all stories in dev board remains but ,if you see the test board, when i try to move two stories in dev board to right most column , expected result is 2 newly added should appear in the first column of the test board but two stories are added in second Column of the Test board. instead of first column of the test board. Attached the Screen shot.Schema-Fig-0.PNGDevTeam-Fig-1.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

I think your people moved the issues past dev-done and dropped them into test or released when they dragged them into the dev-complete column

no , its me who did it , when I moved to the right most column of the dev board , it appears in the second column of the test board and not the first column , because the dev board has all 3 statuses of the second board , can you please guide me correct this .

I tried it multiple times and it is not consistent to be placed in the first column of the second board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

If you pick up the issue/card on the board and hover it over the last column, you will see three regions appear, one for each status in the column.  Are you dropping the cards into the right one?

Yes , when I place stories in the last column in the Dev board , and see the test board , I see it is present in the second column instead of the first column in test board. I have also attached the screen shot for reference , if you see in the s,shot you would see the stories in the second column of the test board instead of first column .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Um, sorry, that's not what I asked about.  What do you see when you hover cards over the last column on the dev board?  Do you see the column is split into three regions?  Which one are you dropping the card into?

Nic, Oh , I did not realize that feature ,until you told me the second time , working as expected , your quick replies really helped , thanks once again.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events