Kanban board - Need flexibility to add Sub-Columns

Brian July 6, 2017

Add sub-columns.JPGI need the flexibility to add Sub-Columns, under columns.  Ideally the capacity to add 4-6 sub-columns.  Sub-columns provide flexibility to map the value chain, as well as to map deployment scenarios such as continuous delivery or continuous deployment.

7 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2017

JIRA Software does not do that.  It's got the hard-coded to-do, in-progress, done status categories but nothing else.

You'll need to raise it as a new feature at https://jira.atlassian.com , but I don't think it's going to work in real life, as you can only really have one "done" column (although I'd argue that we should be allowed several, all on one side of the board, especially as JIRA doesn't allow you to change between status within a column)

Up Riam January 10, 2018

I want to see similar feature in JIRA.

My desire feature in Kanban board is as below. In the below board row with RED color are default Simplified status (Phases) whereas 2nd Row has Custom status. My jira workflow is based on status in 2nd row. I want to see my board with both rows. Is it possible?

Kanban_board_withSubColumns.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

No.  See above.

Travis Pomeroy July 11, 2018

Agreed.  This would be a wonderful feature to have to help customize our board.  

In addition, this concept, of active/done sub-columns, is also covered very deeply in Eric Brechner's book "Agile Project Management with Kanban".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKWvmiY7f_g

Kurtis February 3, 2021

Bump, this is pretty make or break for my team using Jira..

Like # people like this
carlos_marin - ENTELGY -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

As far as I know you can not do that in Jira, unless you modify your workflow status and split your status in two statuses to represent the "active/working" state and the "done" state.

Other kanban native tools have that functionality.  

Jira is not a kanban tool, even if it has a kanban board.

Like Brian likes this
Brian September 15, 2021

It is unfortunate that Atlassian doesn't want to listen to customers.

Like Michalis Dimopoulos likes this
Christian Slaviero January 3, 2023

Agreed - this would a fantastic addition. Extremely useful!

Michelle Rose October 3, 2023

Has there been any movement on this from Atlassian?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2023

No - I asked about this a few months ago, and got a response I would summarise as "we'll support what we need to do the core of scrum/kanban/itsm/etc".

Michelle Rose October 6, 2023

That's disappointing, but thanks for the update. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events