Jira systems Email Notification Suppression

Pierce Radtke June 25, 2021

I recently have been fighting a very serious problem with Jira notifications.

When I finally had exhausted all possible rational explanations for why some users were not receiving notifications to their email I reached out to support who informed me of the following regarding their internal policies.  As a note, this started when one of our ITStaff accidentally removed all of our MX records from our domain causing emails to be bounced back for a whole day.  There were not repeat failures, it was a single failure in most cases.

"

Are these suppression rules system wide or specific to an individual instance? For example someone spoofed joe@domain.com<joe@domain.com> and sends an email to xyz project and the return notification is blocked because the address was spoofed... and then another company buys @domain.com and creates a legitimate joe@domain.com<joe@domain.com> account and sends to an entirely different instance of Jira will the email be blocked?

The suppression list is system-wide, not to a specific instance. The system puts the emails on this bounce list to avoid sending them to a blacklist after receiving too many bounces from their server.

We currently use SendGrid and SparkPost for mail delivery. When you send an email to your subscribers via SendGrid, there are really only a few things that can happen to that message between SendGrid and the receiving server. Those events are:

Delivered – the receiving server accepted the message
Bounce – the receiving server denied the message and the address sent to is suppressed by SendGrid moving forward
Blocked – the receiving server denied the message and the address is not suppressed by SendGrid moving forward
Deferred – the receiving server delayed acceptance of the message

Often, customer’s mail servers might refuse to deliver our messages – being it due to security policies or because the mailbox didn’t exist at the time the e-mail was sent. e.g.: a new employee, with a recently created e-mail, is invited to Confluence and since his mailbox isn’t completely set up, the mail server fails to deliver it, thus, marking it as bounced. As mentioned, this is performed to avoid blacklists for these emails. " - Jira Support

This suppression list is not accessible to administrators, no notifications are sent to administrators about the failures, and having a Jira account does not remove an address from the suppression list.  Admins must reach out to Jira Support with each individual address/domain to get the address removed from the supression list.

This is a serious oversight by their development teams.  

1 comment

Comment

Michael Rossi September 5, 2023

Has Atlassian made any progress on this front?

Like Ricardo Cescon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events