Jira "Business-Based" Projects interacting with Jira "Functional-Based" Projects

DSell October 20, 2021

The setup:

• Jira Project: Gazelle (A Scrum project running in 2-week sprints)
  • Jira Project: Software (A “Functional Group” Scrum project running in 2-week sprints, but with issues that span across many “business projects”, Gazelle being one of them)
  • Jira Project: Hardware (A “Functional Group” Scrum project running in 2-week sprints, but with issues that span across many “business projects”, Gazelle being one of them)
  • Jira Project: Mechanical (A “Functional Group” Kanban project, but with issues that span across many “business projects”, Gazelle being one of them)

In this scenario I have a fictional business project called “Gazelle”. Gazelle has a cast in stone deliverable of a product to be delivered on a specific date a few years down the road. It also has touch point deliverables along the way to the end, e.g., customer milestones, functional prototypes, or testing results.

Gazelle has a team of some dedicated SW, HW, and Mech engineers, but much of the work comes from functional teams as needed. E.g., a HW engineer is needed to layout a PCB that may require involvement in ½ of one sprint and is then returned to the pool to work on other projects.

I have my thoughts on this but would like to hear other expert opinions on how this is handled, particularly in the realm of automotive.

My thoughts:

• Gazelle uses Jira Components such as “SW_Functional_Team”, “HW_Functional_Team”, “ME_Functional_Team”.
  • Gazelle uses FixVersions for the stake in the ground for touch point deliverables along the way to the end, e.g. customer milestones, functional prototypes, or testing results. These are shown on the Advanced Roadmaps Plan instead of using MS Project.
  • The Gazelle Product Owner plays a big part in the prioritizing of the Gazelle backlog, but also participating with other POs in prioritizing the backlog for the functional groups with the functional leaders. This helps shield the engineer from the battle of what is the most important business project.

One area that I struggle with is what is the best way to handle the related tickets most efficiently without duplicating any. E.g., The Gazelle team creates a ticket in the Gazelle Jira project for the example I used above, “Layout of a PCB”. This issue must be tracked in the Gazelle Jira project as it is committed to in the sprint, but also needs to be in the backlog of the “HW_Functional_Team” Jira project. What is the opinion here of the best handling of this?

1 comment

DSell October 26, 2021

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. Many companies I feel come across this dilemma. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events