Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira-Server page loading times in web browser (Chrome)

Michael Aglas September 12, 2019

I started to investigate "Performance" Issues of a Jira server and made therefore some measurements regarding page loading times. Unfortunately, from Atlassian self there are just values delivered for response times (which from my perspective is a different thing). And here starts the problem. The response can be fast, but until all the content is processed by DOM and finally illustrated in the browser, I think is more important from user perspective. I understand each web browser handles it differently and therefore loading times will vary. That's right, but it is unlucky having NO numbers available to understand there are improvements possible or necessary. So performance issues can be principially been measured, but first of all it starts always with a subjective impression. But how can I now figure out if there is something wrong or it is a reasonable time the page was loaded when there is nothing you can compare with? Also it would be helpful when upgrading Jira to have values to compare with and see wether there really was an improvement or not.

That is my starting point here. I'd like to know from the community, what their measurements are to identify problems or to figure out everything in principle is ok. Therefore I post here my measurements.

Requirements: To ensure we get valid and compareable results here the requirements.
Browser: Chrome V76.0.3809.132
Time measurement: via Chrome Add-On 'Page load time' V2.0.0

How To:
I started measuring for actions: Browse Boards, Browse Project, Project Summary, Search with JQL, View Dashboard, View Issue, View Board. All those page requests have been made 20 times and get the mean value of this. The pages are always opened in a new tab. Among these actions I also calculated a mean value to have an overall average.

Result:

Jira-Server V7.12.3
Jira size: S-M

grafik.png

1 comment

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events