Jira Project config modication

Priya Gopinath December 11, 2019

Hi,

We created a new project template in Jira with new Issue types defined , corresponding workflows,permissions and field configurations defined. Eventually we would like all projects to be created using this template in Jira.

But as of now, we have some existing projects in Jira with lots of reporting data that we would like to use the new template as well .

I see two options here

a) Create a new project using the new template as the shared configuration and move all the issues from the existing project into this new template project. When moving the issues , we see that each issue that's being moved gets a new issue id and does not retain the old issue id.

Question : Is there a way that the issue id value remains unchanged after moving?

b)Modify/Enhance the existing project's configuration manually to include the additional config changes that would bring it to the new template format. This way i dont have to move the issues and can use the existing project. This involves considerable manual effort to modify the configuration.

Question: Is there a way that all this config modification of a project can be done programmatically? such as automated scripts?

Question: Are there any other solutions other than this?

Thanks

1 comment

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

Hello Priya,

Configuration Manager for Jira can help you with a lot of these things. 

For question A, i dont think the issue key can remain the same but all previous link should still work and point to the same issue, even if its migrated project.

For question B, look at configuration Manager for Jira. Please mark as answered if this answers your question.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2019

Please mark this as answered if it answers your question. Let me know if you have more questions

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events