Jira Plugin development to get all users

Daniel Burke December 21, 2017

Hi All,

Which Plugin type would be best to retrieve all users and their roles etc in JIRA?

I'm trying to Develop my own Plugin which will export all of my users in my entire JIRA application but cannot find the best way to do it.

I'm currently trying to make a report plugin, but the tutorial seems a bit out-dated.

Does anybody have any experience doing this?

2 comments

Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2017

Hi Daniel,

i think the answer depends on a couple points. 

a) Cloud or Server

Cloud - can only be Connect Plugin

Server - it'll be a Java based one.

b) What do you want to do with the report & how should it look.

If you need to display or reuse the data in Jira then plugin is a Way to go. If you need that data/report outside of Jira ... a simpler solution might be a script that pulls the User/Group data via the Rest API and processes it.

Cheers,
Christian

Daniel Burke December 21, 2017

Hi Chris,

Sorry,  yes you're correct.

I'm using Server, so I've been deving in Java, following the tutorial on the Atlassian site.

I would be wanting to export my user data into an Excel sheet. I have read that Groovy is good for scripting on JIRA. 

What do you think? Would it be simpler to Develop a plugin that gets all that data? Or a Script? 

So far, I'm not having much luck with the Plugin.

Cheers,

Daniel

Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2017

Hi @Daniel Burke,

simpler is relative but my opinion would be if you need excel as an output - use a scripting language.

We tend to use groovy & use:

xlsxwriter - As a library to create Excel Files

And the normal groovy "request" library to interact with the Jira REST API.

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.6.1/

Cheers,
   Christian

Daniel Burke January 4, 2018

Thanks Christian! 

Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ December 21, 2017

Hi @Daniel Burke maybe a simple approach to solve your problem is to directly query the database using a GUI and export the data displayed?

Most Database GUI can export query results to CSV for example

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events