Jira DB on SQL

Leonardo Vasquez May 11, 2018

I have a Jira instance set up on my SQL server and I am planning to set up a second Jira instance using the same SQL server. Can the 2 Jira's DB located on the same SQL instance.

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2018

Yes.  They need to be in separate schemas/db areas so that they do not share tables or spaces, but you can run many Atlassian systems with a single instance of a database.

Leonardo Vasquez May 11, 2018

Nic, You meant that If I have a SQL server called SQLServ, I can have 2 DBs Jira1 and Jira2 under that SQL instance.  I need to have the 2 Jira's instance separate since they belong to 2 different departments. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2018

Sorry, I missed your reply.

Yes, having Jira1 and Jira2 under a single instance is absolutely fine.  The stuff I have at home all runs off one database server (single process) with several databases on it - Jira, Confluence, development Jira, dev Confluence, mail, large file store and so-on

Leonardo Vasquez May 28, 2018

Nic, 

Thanks again for your reply. I have another question, I have a Bitbucket server already set up and I am planning to start setting up the Jira application. What is you recommendation regarding having Jira and BitBucket on the same VM? 

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2018

Should work fine, as long as the VM has enough resource to run both!

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2018

@Leonardo Vasquez  First of all one SQL  Server can have multiple DB or Schema , where you can run not just jira but any other applications , say confluence. They just should run separately.

One point though - why do you have two JIRA for two departments ? Multiple Departments can work in one JIRA instance based on how JIRA works.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2018

I don't think you would want to waste on two jira instances ( production) which means two jira production licenses. 

Leonardo Vasquez May 28, 2018

Vickey, 

Thanks for your input. I am supporting 2 different companies and one of them it is currently using Jira and the second one is going to start doing it. that is why I was asking if I can have 2 Jira's db on the same SQL instance.

Thanks  

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events