Java 11 and OpenJDK support for Atlassian Server & Data Center products.

We fully understand that the change in Oracle JDK support structure has a significant impact on you, our customers. 
This has been on our radar for some time, and we've made some decisions across the Atlassian Server & Data Center product lines that we'd like to share with you.

Support for Java 11 OpenJDK and Oracle JDK.

Upcoming releases of our Server & Data Center products will support both Java 11 OpenJDK and Oracle JDK. Work is already underway for Jira Core, Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Portfolio for Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket, with other products planning to follow suit. At this point, we haven't decided which Java 11 JRE we're going to bundle. This is something we're working on, and whatever we choose will be compatible with Oracle JDK 11. Detailed information about specific product versions providing support for OpenJDK 11 will be shared independently as soon as we have these details available.

Additionally, Oracle's support model for future releases of Java continues to evolve - we are monitoring it closely as it might impact our approach.

Support for Java 9 / 10.

Java 9 is already end-of-life, and Java 10 will be end-of-life in September 2018. Neither of these are Long Term Supported versions, therefore we have no plans to support them.

Support for Java 8 SE.

Java 8 Oracle JDK is currently supported across all Server & Data Center products. We plan to continue supporting Java 8 Oracle JDK together with support for Java 11. We're committed to supporting our Enterprise customers who don't want to or can't upgrade to Java 11, and would like to purchase extended Java 8 SE support from Oracle instead.

We'll add an update on our progress within the next few months.

Share your feedback

We’d like to use this post to gather your feedback and questions about our plans to support Java 11 and OpenJDK. Share your thoughts in the comments below and we'll do our best to respond.

Kind regards,
Atlassian Server Product Management

22 comments

congobongo August 22, 2018

good news - we have been bleeding for years..

as long as you stay away from oracle, you are home safe - makes no point in bundling with a heavily upredictable foundation, in terms of licensing model. It would be a disaster to wake up one day and have very little choice but to pay oracle milllions and millions in license fees, cause we are running multi-cpu-virtualenvironments with tremendous amounts of memory..

Go for openjdk as bundle and you keep everyone happy, have support for oracle and you make the goofies happy too

Like # people like this
Jason Freeman August 22, 2018

How does this affect customers who use the bundled Java that comes with the Jira Service Desk installer? Will some version, whether Oracle or Open, continue being bundled?

In other words, do we have to change anything?

Jakub Lazinski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2018

Great question @Jason Freeman. We haven't decided yet which JRE our products will be bundled with. Options that we're considering are between different providers of OpenJDK and not bundling Java at all.  We want to minimise any potential impact on our customers. For now, nothing changes for you.

John Gill August 23, 2018

What about Bamboo?

amit raj August 24, 2018

Thank you Atlassian! for supporting openJDK.  In my opinion Jira and other atlassian tools should have bundled OpenJDK.  it makes life of an admins and any new user who is trying JIRA, much easier.  Install and you go!

on Side note-

I also feel that bibucket should come bundled with Git, customers see Bitbucket as a Git solution, not just an application which is working on top of Git.

Thank you

Amit Raj

Dale Stewart August 29, 2018

Thanks for the info, can anyone shed light on Atlassian's estimated time frame's on a decision regarding OpenJDK, OracleJDK etc

What JDK will Atlassian support? And what is the roadmap for these decisions

Adam Clauss September 3, 2018

Indirectly related to this topic - I understand that only having support for OracleJDK but its licensing issues are one of the reasons very few supported Docker images exist (Per the "Support" section here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/confluence-server/).

With your products moving to support OpenJDK as well, does this mean we can expect a broader set of supported Docker images?

I think Bitbucket Server / Bamboo are the only ones at the moment (because they already supports OpenJDK).

Joshua Carpenter September 6, 2018

I am very happy about the decision to support Open JDK. That will make installing Atlassian products in a Docker container much easier since there is no official docker image for Oracle Java. I can't wait for this to be implemented!

Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ September 11, 2018

To clarify on your opening post: You plan to support Java 11 for upcoming versions, but what about versions that are out there?

Atlassian has a end of life policy: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html, but these versions would all have to be updated to OpenJDK (as far as I understand) or would be subject to substantial license fees from Oracle. Do you plan to put out compatibility updates for these older versions as well?

Jonathan Hult September 19, 2018

For further information about options, read this article put together by the Java Champions community of independent Java leaders and experts: Java Is Still Free

My preference would be that Atlassian supports any certified (using the JCK / TCK) build.

My preference for bundling is Zulu or AdoptOpenJDK.

turo September 26, 2018

When will you announce the version and its date when OpenJDK will be fully supported with Confluence and Jira?  thanks

Mario Ofner October 23, 2018

Hello @Jakub Lazinski,

Do you already have updates on the OpenJDK Support? January 2019 is getting closer by ;.) I would be interested in the support for Jira and Confluence

I hope you can share an update!

Thank you

Like # people like this
pnelsonsr November 1, 2018

I was hopeful when I started reading this thread.  But I really need to know the Version that are (will be) in support of OpenJDK.  It is November 1st...  Any new info?

Ian Lee _LLNL_ November 2, 2018

Any update on this? Give that RedHat just announced (https://access.redhat.com/articles/3322051?sc_cid=701f2000001CwK1AAK&) they are dropping support for Oracle Java, this is likely to become a big issue for many Enterprise customers.

Jakub Lazinski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your comments on this thread. We'll be preparing an update with the latest info about planned support for OpenJDK across main Atlassian products and publish it soon.

Appreciate your patience.

Like # people like this
Taavi Ammas November 29, 2018

Hi,

As the main issue for OpenJDK support for Jira Server has been resolved with the fix version 7.13.0 (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-41589) , could we get an update on when the new version will be released, because some companies will have a change freeze from the middle of december, but the update should be done before January.

Can we hope 7.13.0 will be released in the next few weeks maybe?

Thanks in advance.

t_koeppe_eos-ts_com December 19, 2018

Hi there,

is there a timeline for Crowd supporting OpenJDK?

Kind regards

Thorsten

Michael Wojciechowski December 26, 2018

Hi,

My question is a little bit different but still pertaining to Open JDK.  It seems that the Atlassian SDK does not yet support Open JDK (https://pasteboard.co/HTulDBT.png).

Is this something that you guys are in the process of addressing?  We're in the process of building a Jira Server plugin and would like to be doing this on Jira v7.13 rather than what comes bundled with the current Atlassian SDK which is Jira v7.12

Much appreciate your feedback,

Michael

Jun December 26, 2018

Hi,

We are using Bitbucket Server, but the update release of OracleJDK 8 will end in January 2019.
The latest Bitbucket Server 5.16 is compatible with OpenJDK. However, LTS is not prepared.

(https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/supported-platforms-776640981.html#Supportedplatforms-javaJava)

The latest Confluence 6.13 is compatible with AdoptOpenJDK. And LTS is prepared.

(https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/supported-platforms-207488198.html#SupportedPlatforms-Java)

I have two questions.

1. Does Bitbucket Server support AdoptOpenJDK? What time is it about?

2. In addition to AdoptOpenJDK there is an OpenJDK package with LTS prepared. For example Amazon Corretto. Are there plans to respond to these?

Thank you

Like # people like this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2018

Hello! 

I have a  small question related to the GC Shenandoah. 

Do you have plan to provide some benchmarks related for use this GC on Atlassian products? 

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/189

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/shenandoah/Main

Cheers.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Like Tommy van Extel likes this
Jakub Lazinski
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2019

Hey @all, in case you have missed it, the latest update to Atlassian support strategy for Java has been published here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Java-11-OpenJDK-support-update-for-Server-and-Data-Center/ba-p/967836#M392

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

If Atlassian is not going to support the Java 8 product shipped with Confluence and Jira and with the frequent security holes this needs attention, then Atlassian needs to provide an option to use OpenJDK as well.   Dont just pay attention to your Java 8 Oracle customers.

Give the option to allow customers to install the openjdk instead of the oracle version. We do not want to have to constantly deal with Oracle licenses with Atlassian products.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events