Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA/ZEPHYR - Thoughts needed on the use of projects and components etc

Paul French May 5, 2017

Afternoon,

I wanted to get some advice or thoughts on how Jira could possibly be used in my organisation and around the use of "projects" etc.

So, the initial problem I face is that from what I can see I cannot share tests between projects, and this presents me with a problem.

To give background:

We a giant "system" (ERP) which is made up of 100's of smaller modules or programs that the users work in and interface with.  Typically the term "project" would be changes to the system to enable onboarding of a new client, or changes to the system to bring in an efficiency, or changes to the law etc.

For a "project" e.g. onboarding of client A - I need to track all the tasks associated with this change (e.g. change Program 1, change program 2, Create new program 3).  BUT new program 3 may then be used later on by new client B so I need to be able to access the tests for this as regression pack later on.

Therefore if I have the Jira "Project" as the clients or changes then all tasks and tests cannot be used on the next project.  If I set the "Project" as ERP as a whole and then the different programs as components then it becomes difficult to track tasks and tests for a particular change and keep this under the one report - e.g. I want to see status of all issues against "Onboarding of client A".

Anyone else managed to overcome this type of thing?  How would you use "Project" and other custom fields to get the necessary information in the dashboards.

1 comment

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2022

Hello @Paul French ,

Did you ever end up using zephyr with Jira? Curious to see if you implemented it and how you implemented it.

PaulFrench August 25, 2022

I didn't. In fact we didn't end up selecting Jira at the time at all (opted for MS TFS)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events