JIRA View issues only owned by Reporter

Randy_Elias April 24, 2017

Hi All,

Is there a way to have 1 board that a group of people could all access but each could only see issues reported by them?

You can assume all issues are confidential to the person who created it and no others should see.

Somehow I think Issue Security Schemes is involved here. 

Thanks,

Randy

1 comment

Comment

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

Hi Randy,

Yes, you can certainly do this; no Issue Security Scheme required!  The key is to create a Permission Scheme just for this purpose.  Set the "Browse Projects" line item to "Current assignee" and/or "Reporter" depending on your needs. Next, for your board, create a dynamic query, like "project = x and assignee = currentUser()".  Also, keep in mind that JIRA admins and anyone with access to the database will probably be able to see issue data.  I always tell my users not to enter issues containing "NASA-level" secrets.  ;)

Here's a simple example:

Use Case: Users have their own personal tasks to complete that are not associated to a large project or even a team. Why not create a simple, company-wide, "to do" project?

Implementation:

• Create a personal, "to do" list project by modifying the permissions scheme so users only view and work on issues assigned to them.
  • On the create screen, allow a user to set the assignee to
    themselves, bypassing the project's default assignee.

You can use Atlassian's "Task Management" (Built-in) workflow, which includes just two statuses:  "To Do" and "Done".  (JIRA version 6.4 and higher.)

NOTE:  The default workflow uses a "Resolve Issues" condition. Give all users the ability to resolve issues in the project's permission scheme or remove this rule from the two workflow transitions.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Randy_Elias April 25, 2017

Thanks Rachel!

Worked like a charm. 

Another question for you. Now if I want to grant a specific group access to all the issues within the same board, how do I do that? I tried to modify the permission scheme Browse Projects to add the group (in addition to Reporter), but it only allows you to pick one item.

Thanks,

Randy 

Randy_Elias April 25, 2017

Ooops! I found the solution. I have to select the reporter and group in 2 separate steps to add both to Browse Projects.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events