JIRA Best Practices Recommendation - don't comment just to say "+1"!

malcook May 2, 2019

I get lots of email from Atlassian's JIRA on issues which I have submitted or am otherwise watching due to someone commenting "+1" or "we really need this".

Instead of commenting as above, it serves to community better to use the vote button.

Or course if you have some new on topic consideration about the issue, submit it as a comment.

But, cut down on email for people following these issues.

Do you agree with this recommendation?

If so, is there other places to make this point where it will be heard?

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

You are completely right.

+1 as a comment is a complete waste of time, it's noise for watchers and makes you look daft because of that.  In many cases, it's spam - bots or sock-puppet accounts saying it becuase it makes the account look a bit more real

In systems that do not have voting, it might be of some use, IF the product owners actually care enough to jump through the hoops of reporting on it.  In most cases, they will not.  If the system supports voting at all, then they will never be looking at +1s or "we need this too"

Atlassian do look at votes on their Jira, they do not bother with +1s.  Sadly, there's no easy way to get this through people's heads - they're going to carry on wasting their time and ours with +1s.  I've seen this fixed once in another forum - a simple validator looked for +# in posts and refused to let them commit, pointing the people to the like/vote button that actually means something.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events