Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue will not show in the Sprint board, when epic issue is linked to is not contained in the filter

Kacper Wietrzny June 9, 2020

I have the following problem.

1. Epics are grouping issues from different projects in our projects.
  2. Board filter is based on the projects, where actual issues are registered (Epics may come from other projects).
  3. I am not able to add all projects, where Epics come from to the board filter, as JIRA requires myself to have 'Manage sprint' privilege in all these projects , so I can effectively handle my board - so I cannot really filter out additionally all epics linked to issues from my filter, as this will make my board unusable -> I will not be able to manipulate my sprint.
  4. Finally, when issue is assigned to epic that is not picked by the board filter, the following will happen:
    1.  in the backlog view:
      1. epic does not show up,
      2. issue is visible, when I filter all issues,
      3. epic tag is visible on the card
    2. in the active sprint view, when I create swimlane from epics:
      1. issue simply disappears and IS NOT visible at all even as issue without epic!!!

In my opinion lack of visibility of such issue in an active sprint board is simply a bug as it should appear in section: Issues with no epics or perhaps (better) in additional section Issue with invisible epics - as it fulfills all requirements of issue visibility in a sprint board.

What do you think? I need to customize board filter a lot to pick projects from where my issues are currently assigned or I am not able to use epic as a swimlane effectively. :( :( :(

2 comments

Simone Kaiser July 27, 2022

We have exactly the same problem. I agree with Kacper that the issues should appear in the lane "Issues without epics".

Like Kacper likes this
Kacper August 9, 2022

Hi @Simone Kaiser , I found the following workaround, however I do not like it too much. Perhaps you would find it useful.

I can construct the board filter to pick both:

- issues from my project(s),

- epics related to issues in my projects, that are not closed - so when I have epic gathering items from other project(s), it display it on my board, but only, if there exists at least 1 item from my project(s) that is not yet closed.

As I result I would pull related epics to the filter and all would work, however as said. This is a workaround and I would really like to see a fix here.

Example of such filter;

project in (ABC) OR 

issueFunction in epicsOf("project in (ABC) AND status != Closed")

ORDER BY Rank ASC

Still I'd prefer that this issues simply shows up as non-epic, when the filter does not pull this epic.

Like Simone Kaiser likes this
Simone Kaiser August 10, 2022

Hi @Kacper , thanks for that hint. We solved it in a similar way. It's not very satisfying but it mitigates the problem. But I would wish that Jira behaves differently.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events