Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter-Team Work Requests

Thayne Munson January 29, 2021

My organization wants to have better visibility into inter-team resource requests.  For example, the Web development team wants an easy way to request resources from the Data management team and vice-versa.  My first thought was to simply have the Web team create a Jira ticket on the Data Board which would then be included in the Data team's standard Scrum processes (Backlog Grooming and  Sprint Planning).  There could be many teams that reach out to each other for resources so I am looking for a process that is visible and easy to use.  Would Service Desk be a good option for this need?  Thanks. 

2 comments

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2021

Hello @Thayne Munson 

I have a comparable situation like your and have done something like this:

we have a team of experts who work on topic 1, topic 2, topic 3. and everyone in our org (a 500+ team) can request an issue on any of these topics. based on the topics each sub group workteam gets an email notification and a have a separate jira board to perform their regular work (grooming, planning etc..)

These topics are created as a dropdown value to a custom field in our Jira, and everytime a user places a request based on the topic things are diverted.

I am sure service desk can offer a better solution, but i am not an expert in it.!

We use Jira software.

Thayne Munson January 29, 2021

I would be very interested in what type of custom filed you are using and how the issue gets diverted.  Thanks for the response. :)  

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2021

Ok :) 
Custom field type = dropdown

Consider a case of internal audit in an org
Using Jira, we would like to consolidate the various Audit requests from different department teams.

the org has 3 types of Internal Audits (1 , 2, 3) which needs tobe planned and executed as per the need.

When the user creates a jira ticket with the title and all the required fields, a custom field - "Audit Type" (dropdown) is a mandatory

The user selects the required option and creates the request.

Here is a small automation (the diversion) recommend you check this document - your Jira admin can help you configure it)

this can be done with rules (example, if the field value is Audit type 1, assign the ticket to user Jack.

for each selection we have a main user, who will get a mail notification when a ticket is created with the specific audit option. (Jira users and groups)

to make it nicer, create a separate quick filter based on the Custom field value selected, so that you can view the issues by creating dedicated boards.

I hope this helps, you need to do some experimentations with Rule creation.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2021

Hi @Thayne Munson 

Ignoring tooling (Jira) for a moment, please consider asking each team and their product owner to explain how they "intake" new work. 

• Some teams just want requests sent (email, Jira issue create, or other communication channel), while others have cadenced intake conversations to confirm understanding of requests, urgency, capacity, etc.
  • Confirm the levels of service (urgency levels) of requests, to know which intake paths apply, and when.  For example, for a Sev 1 outage call the team.
  • Confirm the work item types to know how to respond.  For example: a standard, repeatable access request, a new feature, a defect, or a continuous improvement item.
  • Confirm what you want to know about requests, such as reporting and measures

Once the team understands how they (and their partner teams) intake work, you can better decide how to support them with tooling like Jira.

Best regards,

Bill

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events