Importing attachments to Jira Cloud using Import tool

Steve Mandeli August 15, 2019

There seems to be no easy way to do this. Tried Dropbox--you get files attached, but they only contain a bunch of HTML with references to the Dropbox URL. Jira Support says this is because login credentials cannot be provided by the importer. In fact, this is a severe limitation of the importer. Because of this, I can't use SharePoint either--we can never access SharePoint without credentials. Why would anyone have a public site without security to put their files in? They also suggest an open server that doesn't need login credentials. No can do. Support suggested I use RESTful API, which is a whole new can of worms. 

We converted from another ALM tool, not a very common one, and using the CSV importer, combined with some direct access to the old tool's database, and VB.net code, have been able to import everything we want--except attachments.

There should be many users that have worked on this issue. How did you end up doing it? Besides REST API? What about those Dropbox-Jira integration plugins?

2 comments

Comment

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2019

Hey Steve, 

I am actually working on a migration myself at the moment. I ended up using ngrok to help facilitate this. 

I've got a mac, so I have a built in web server located at /Library/WebServer/Documents. I created a new directory called attachments and then store my specific directories underneath there. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.41.41 AM.png

From that point, I start up ngrok using the command ngrok http 80.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.42.33 AM.png

and I can access attachments through that URL. For example, when I access the URL http://b839728a.ngrok.io/attachments/PM/txt.txt, I can get yo my test file ( I have shut off my ngrok at the time of the posting, so the URL will not work anymore). 

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.45.47 AM.png

As long as I place the URL in my import file, Atlassian Cloud can access my attachments. I only enable ngrok for as long as I need to upload the files. It has worked for me fairly well. 

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks, 

Kian

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

@Steve Mandeli Hey, Steve! Welcome to the Atlassian Community. 😄 I'm going to move this to the Jira collection, so that you can get more insights from members there.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events