Import project and issues from Asana to JIRA

Home Care Connect April 17, 2018

some reason I could not see the option to import the projects from Asana to Jira while following the steps mention on this site: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-asana-802592915.html

On the System JIRA import wizard, I did not see the following steps:

1. Select the Import button associated with the Asana option to open the Asana Import Wizard.

Please advise!

3 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

What version of Jira are you on, and are you an administrator?

Home Care Connect April 18, 2018

Yes, I am on administrator ones. I just downloaded the latest Jira which was available on the Atlassian Community side, now sure how to check the latest version.  Also is there a customer support number for JIRA? we are in the trial version at the moment. The company wants to purchase the JIRA but after seeing much product out there it is really confusing. It will be easy someone can talk to us and advise us on which one to get we will purchase it. 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2018

Yes, You can write to the support team mentioning the Support number as well.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/how-to-find-your-support-entitlement-number-sen-229840018.html

Get help and inform them that you will be buying it soon before the trial ends.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2018

If you are in JIRA Cloud, possibly Atlassian might have stopped supporting Asana import. The tyr with CSV import.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-asana-788726142.html

I am confused, we do have existing issues and projects in the Asana. Are you saying that export that first in the CVS file and then import it in the JIRA? 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2018

Yes, if the option for Asana import is removed. 

OR

If its removed in latest version, the downgrade jira, import and then upgrade again.

how can i downgrade the jira and which version? and how to know the version?

Like Franz Consbruch likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Actually, you can't downgrade Jira, there's no (sane) path to it.  But it's irrelevant because you're on Cloud, where there are no versions and no importers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

My apologies, I think I misunderstood the question.

I have just noticed you said: "On the System JIRA import wizard,"

That is NOT where the importers live.  That's for importing Jira systems from backups.

Try going to Admin -> System -> External System Import

You should find about 20 importers, including an Asana one.

it does not give the 20 importers it is giving only 3. 

https://www.screencast.com/t/smZGJVyuS

Like Brian Blanas likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

Right, that's not "I just downloaded the latest Jira", that is Cloud, which as Mahesh points out, has had most of the importers removed.

You could import a server version and then import it on to Cloud, or you could go with Mahesh's suggestion - export Asana data to CSV and import it with the CSV importer that is there.

Bodo Henkel September 30, 2018

Why the heck do they remove these options in cloud version if they are available in server edition?! I also need to migrate from Asana to Jira. Around thousand tasks in several projects. By hand is no option, then I would need to stick with asana. And by CSV, thanks no thanks. To bad experiences in the past with other software migration using this option. It was never without a lot of trouble.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2018

Because they don't want to have to support them.  Cloud and Server are now very different products.

Sadly, this does leave you a bit stuck unless you're willing to do the CSV route.  Or move to Server

That is a real showstopper, indeed!
I just tested it with CSV export/import from asana to Jira and there was not even a possibility, i.e. field to assign, to transfer the marked complete status. That means ALL the already completed issues are back in the Backlog. 
Sorry Atlassian, but in addition to the days I needed to setup the system as needed, I really just not have time to transfer more than thousand issues manually.
What a waste! Such a shame. So long ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2018

You should be able to map the Status of the issues, that's included in the CSV imports (Less good on some other fields, I don't think the CSV importer in Cloud is as good as other importers, but it does do status)

Thanks Nic, but unfortunately not. The only field related to done status in the csv file is *Completed At* which is implicit but also definite in its meaning that the issue is resolved. Unfortunately Jira does not draw the appropriate conclusion from it. I guess this is the drawback from having a neutral CVS interface instead of an explicit asana import understanding the asana logic. I.e. if *Completet At* is empty it is todo and if there is a date in this field then it is done.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2018

Ah, I see, Asana does not have a simple "status" field for you to map into Jira to tell it where the issue is in the workflow.  You can map "status" for Jira to any column you want, but if Asana doesn't provide it, there's not a lot you can do.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events