Import a CSV backlog that is exported from another JIRA platform

Jeroen Thoelen October 31, 2017

I exported a project backlog from our JIRA platform in a CSV file, but when we try to import it in another JIRA platform, it does not import every issue. It give a certain error:

- 794 ERROR - Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data may be in an unstable state:

- VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ERROR: value too long for type character varying(60))): while inserting:

So it does not import every issue, it stops at the issue where the error occors.

Can someone help me with that?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

One way I keep running into this is a missing separator in the CSV.  A field overflows by effectively concatenating the whole line (or even the rest of the file) into one field.

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

Hey Jeroen, 

It appears as though there is a DB column that has a character limit. Can you investigate which column has that and what is violating it? You should be able to tell where the import is stopping and narrow down the field in question there. 

Thanks, 

Kian

Suggest an answer