I need help of making constraint between JIRA Component and a custom field in JIRA Issue Create Scre

Tran Van Huu February 7, 2022

Dear everyone,

I'm facing a new requirement without any solution here.
I hope you can take a look and drop some comment to help me.
Any response is appreciated.

Here is my case:

We are using JIRA Server 7.4.1 and 8.12.1
I have a project called PMS, including issue type: NC, OB
On NC create screen, there are lot of fields, including Component (JIRA Core),  and a custom field called Process Area (select list, single choice, list option: A, B, C, D
We did create 3 components: Requirement, SRS, UAT

Now, my user want to make the constraint between Component and Process Area.
E.g, if user select Requirement for Component then the field Process Area must show only option A

If user select Software for Component then the field Process Area must show only 2 options: B and D

I have research online so much, tried lot of solution but I got no lucky.

We even tried to use Scriptrunner, however, it seems like the add-on low down the server performence.

Could you please tell me how to make it if you have any solution or idea.

Thank you so much,
Huu, from FPT Software

10 comments

Tran Van Huu February 7, 2022

Hi everyone,

Please take a look at attachment for more detailScreen.png

Thanks,
Huu, from FPT Software

Klára Zikešová February 7, 2022

Hi, I would just go for a cascading select list. If there is some limitation of combination in wf, I´d go for separe transitions and combination of conditions, but the thing you describe is really nice candidate for a cascade. It is fast, simple and coding free...

Like # people like this
Paul A Wright February 8, 2022

Definitely the easiest solution in my opinion.

Easy to use.  Easy to report on.

Think about what Management Information you need to get out of this field, and it will serve you well.

The good thing about this is that you can enable and disable elements, or add additional criteria as you see fit. (Never delete as you potentially lose historic reporting).

Good luck

Like Klára Zikešová likes this
Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2022

the best thing without writing Java script using Script Runner is to have Dynamic field for that issue type. You did not specify if it is a cloud instance or server

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2022

Its mentioned as JIRA Server 7.4.1 and 8.12.1

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

@Tran Van Huu ,

Instead of using Components and Process Area, create one custom field with type select list (Cascading) field type. 

select list (Cascading) is a Jira field with two levels of select lists. What you see in the second select list depends on what you chose in the first select list

You can read more about this field type in https://atlassian.servicerocket.com/adoption-blog/jira-tips-cascading-select-fields-and-the-evolution-of-jira#:~:text=A%20Cascading%20Select%20List%20is,%2D%20very%20long%20%2D%20select%20list

Like Heydi Menéndez likes this
Robin Stemmers February 7, 2022

Hi

This is just my 5c.

Cascading list is great, but you can only make one side of the list mandatory.  It is a challenge I am faced with :)

I have heard that the new Forms feature could work for dynamic views.  I have not tried it yet, but maybe something to look into?

Like Heydi Menéndez likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

@Tran Van Huu -

Since you are on server env, you can take a look in acquiring the following add-on ScriptRunners for Jira by Adaptavist (an excellent and must have add-on to any Jira installation in my recommendation)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

On the DC/Server side, the add-on provides a component "Behavior" where you can create customization where to control a select list options listing based on other field's selection (i.e. component/s) that user select dynamically.

However, if you are facing a budget issue, then I would recommend you to follow what other suggested of using cascade-select options by creating a custom field.  The drawback is that you will not be using the out of the box component field + cascade-select options is limited to single option to be selected for both parent and child options.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Christof Hurst February 7, 2022

Doing this with a very small behaviours script of Scriptrunner for Jira shouldn't have any implication to the performance. It's only a few lines of code. As it's JS it should only run if the form is open.

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

Cascading Selection is the way to go.

While ScriptRunner's Behaviours are very powerful, I would stay away from them for two reasons:

1. It's complicated to create and maintain (believe me, I've been there...)

2. They're not supported in Jira Cloud, so when you migrate to cloud, you'll have to redesign your solution.

Back to cascading:

- You can add a validator that will check the 2nd part of a cascading field and fail the transition

- if you need components, you can add an automation that will check the field and set the component.

Muhammad Akram Sharifi February 8, 2022

Hi

i would suggest you to add automation when issue created then edit the field value 

i dont think you would be able to do it using addon or etc because behavior are not supported by atlassian yet

Heydi Menéndez February 8, 2022

Hola, por lo que entendí del ejemplo solo tendrías una opción para cargar en el segundo campo Process Area por cada valor elegido de Componente, en ese caso yo iría por la automatización de una regla que me asigne el valor del campo según lo elegido en el componente. Es bastante sencillo.

Saludos!!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events